• We've recently just upgraded software, bare with us there's a few kinks to iron out but if you notice anything that causes a major issue that isn't design/style related please post in the suggestions & bug forum, thank you!

19 yr old new vegan. tips for adequate iron/vitamins/calcium/healthy body wieght/etc.

Green.Wave

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I purchased a b 12 high quality whole foods supplement. I need to get my d2 levels up so i bought d2 drops and d3 drops. I don't want my iron levels to go down. How to maintain a nutrient dense vegan diet? Any recommended foods? Supplements? Thanks

Mark Mywordz

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan Newbie
Hi GW
I applaud your conversion to plant based food but I don't understand your feeling that the plants themselves will not be enough. Vitamin D is free. I'm in overdose mode at the moment here in Spain. I would prefer a little less heat in the sun. I doubt if there are many places in the world where there is too little sunshine. The UK has more than enough, all you have to do is go out and walk, run, play football, whatever, but get outside. Few people in the West need suffer from vitamin deficiencies - unless they eat nothing but burgers and chips. What we need is a simpler diet but one based on plants - plants not plant extracts. I try to make all my food myself from the basic plants and if I buy any "products" (I hate that word) I try to make sure that they have as few ingredients as possible and no ingredients that I cannot understand, no E numbers.
I have been very much influenced by the work of Dr. Michael Greger on diet, in particular his book "How not to die".

Donald

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
Iron is important when your body is still growing but you dont want to get too much after a certain age as I have read that it can settle in your heart leading to other problems.
Get a good vegetarian multi-vitamin at your local GNC or Vitamin world and eat a rainbow of colors everyday in the fruits and veggies you consume.

Slonaut

Reaction score
Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, poppy seeds, pine nuts, cashews, almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts.
More than enough choice.

https://www.nutrition-and-you.com/nuts_nutrition.html

Seeds can easily be added to sandwiches, hot meals and salads, you barely taste them and they add extra crunch.
I love eating nuts along with dates for dinner.