2024 Spud Haul

jayjeeoh

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
2024 SPUD HAUL
Here's the spud haul, although there are still some leftovers growing on the compost pile that have yet to be harvested. I culled last year's remaining purple and red Chieftain varieties.

While some don't appreciate the floury texture of purple spuds, their anti-oxidant capacity overwhelms that of white spuds by a factor of 20/1...that's if you're concerned 'bout any cancer developing! I've had mine. Have you had your's yet? hahaha
The white ones are Yukon Gold, along with the red Chieftains are great gatekeepers.

It's the middle of August and I have just eaten the last of last year's crop, still quite edible. The secret is to bring 'em outta the dark every 10 days or so, then snap off the sprouts and send 'em back to the dark ages. hahaha Yeah, I eats 'em all; they've always been my favourite food.
Science teaches those who will pay attention, that potatoes are the most satiating food on the planet, bar none. Better than corn, rice, quinoa or anything else.
Easy, eh?IMG_0903.JPGIMG_0903.JPGIMG_0903.JPG

Well done!

I've read that the inclusion of tubers such as potatoes in the human diet at least in part explains how we managed to develop our oversized brains. So, it's a type of food we have been eating for a long time. It required the invention of fire, as raw tubers don't digest well.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
It required the invention of fire, as raw tubers don't digest well.
We didn't invent fire. We just figured out how to make it/use it. Archeologist classify fire as a technology.
The invention of stone tools and fire changed our evolutionary track.
But were big brains a prerequisite to these technologies or a result??

What few realize even in our fringe community of plant eaters, is that all fruits and vegetables are carbohydrates. Tubers are appropriately called starches, after the good late Dr, John McDougall.
Not to dampen anyone's supper, but as Guy McPherson says, when the production of grains at scale recedes as it must due to the messed up Arctic Polar Airstream, aka the jet stream, we will be in deep doo-doo. In Peru, the ancient Incas developed high mountain caves where potatoes were freeze-dried for keeping. They would plant different varieties on different sides of the mountains in case the weather was inclement. It is now, sigh!

The attached images are from other years. I must chuckle at my collection of CO spud bugs, plus a pair of 'em caught red-(or is that striped)handed in the act of copulation. I'm no sadist, but, they can get it on, then lay their orange eggs under someone else's leaves! hahaha

Attachments

• DSCN7470.JPG
    DSCN7470.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 3
  • DSCN7498.JPG
    DSCN7498.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 3
  • DSCN7792.JPG
    DSCN7792.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 3
  • DSCN7794.JPG
    DSCN7794.JPG