Advertisement

Activism and mental health

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rory17, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Rory17

Rory17 Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    Hi,
    I’m 95% vegan. I do a lot of campaigning online. I’m an extremely kind, compassionate and charitable person.
    However, I also have anxiety problems and my mum probably thinks that some of the stuff that I look at online (gruesome animal cruelty/suffering videos and petitions) could have a negative effect on my mental health. A hypnotherapist has also, possibly, told me that it doesn’t help my mental health.
    I care passionately about animals, but I also want to look after myself. What would be a good, healthy balance?
    Thank you to the moon and back.
    Have the best day and night ever!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Forest Nymph
    Musical

Forest Nymph Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +739 / 1 / -16
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    1) Become fully vegan
    2) Watch other activists or vegan cooking shows instead of distressing animal violence
    3) Engage in activism that's within your personal limit. Not everyone is cut out to film investigations of slaughter houses or to risk getting arrested in direct activism. Start a blog, create a YouTube channel or if you are in school contact PETA2 and start a campus vegan club, they send you supplies through a sponsor.

Good luck.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. betiPT
    Surfing

betiPT Active Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I agree with @Forest Nymph and some extra tips below.

• Eat unprocessed (Chef AJ has an amazing book to help)
    • Rest - when was the last time you did nothing for a day and just sat at the beach or in a forest setting? If it is over a month, organise a trip to get away and do nothing and enjoy your environment
    • Meditate - try doing this every day... even for 5 mins
    • Sleep - are you getting between 7-9 hours sleep every day? If not, fix this :)
    • Exercise - ensure in your day to day activities you include exercise
    • Avoid alcohol
    Good Luck!

• Like Like x 2