Advertisement

Air fryer?

Discussion in 'Products' started by Lou, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Lou
    Woot

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -3
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Has anyone got one?

I'm not the biggest kitchen gadget guy. Mostly its a lack of counter and cupboard space. But last week I got an Instant Pot which replaces my rice cooker and crockpot. So maybe I have room for one more.

Air Fryers weren't even on my radar till this morning. An article popped up in my news feed and I was intrigued. Then I read another one. and then two more. I linked them below.
    A lot of air fryers are either out of my price range or take up too much counter space. The Avalon Bay, which is pictured in the first article might be the best one for me. Smaller and cheaper than most.

So. Does anyone have an air fryer? Is it worth it?

----

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/what-is-an-air-fryer-is-it-worth-it-to-buy-one

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-finds/2018/06/24/best-air-fryers/#6ed2a09426b4

https://healthybutsmart.com/avalon-bay-digital-air-fryer-review/

https://www.cooksmarts.com/articles/frying-vegetables-airfryer/

2. Veganite
    Meh

Veganite Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +620 / 1 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    No, but I have had one on my kitchen want list for some time now.

3. Lou
    Woot

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -3
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    i did a little more research this afternoon. Man, there are too many models and brands. I may have to head over to someplace like Target to get a look at some of these.

I'm still leaning towards the smaller and less expensive models. But Cuisinart makes a very large and expensive unit. It is a toaster oven, too. So I wouldn't need to devote any counter space. then again the smaller models can probably go in a cupboard when I'm not using it.

4. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member Banned

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -5
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I prefer to nuke my potato yet-to-be-fries with a Fresnel Lens. :p

Hehe, in seriousness, it just seems like a bit of a gimmick to me. I often pan fry my potato strips in a simple pan with cover, no oil. I'm probably not getting an authentic type taste/mouth feel (comparable to potatoes fried in oil) that may (?) be achieved using such a device, but then I'm not spending money on things I don't consider very important either.

5. Lou
    Woot

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -3
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    My interest is already waning. but it's only been something I have been aware of for 24 hours so we will see what happens.

they are bigger than I thought they were. My first impression was that the smaller ones could go in a cupboard when I wasn't using it. that is now a question mark. measurements must be taken.

I also thought they were oil-free cooking. most of the recipes call for a little oil or spraying with an aerosol. I already cook with just a little oil from an aerosol or just oil free.

French fries are nice but not sure I love them that much. The roasted veggies and tofu sparked my interest.

anyway, still hoping from an endorsement from someone that has one.

6. Emma JC
    Joyful

Emma JC Active Member

Ratings:
    +286 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Any of the people, on YouTube, that I see using an air fryer, don't have an oven. I was also tempted by it but my oven can do all of the things that an air fryer can especially as I always parboil or, now, instant pot my potatoes before I put them into the oven to turn them into fries or wedges. It is healthier and takes a lot less time in the oven.

I have been watching a lot of Well Your World recently and he just put out a 'thanksgiving' video where he roasts veggies in the oven and made mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy, all SOS and looked amazing. So roasting is easy in the oven and holds a lot more than an air fryer.

just my opinion, I too would be interested in hearing anyone who has both an oven and an air fryer

Emma JC

7. Veganite
    Meh

Veganite Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +620 / 1 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Air fryers are not really a gimmick, in my humble opinion. They work on the same principle as a convection oven, only they're smaller. That said, if you buy one with the idea that it will produce foods exactly the same as deep-frying in fat, you might be slightly disappointed. It also won't crisp up anything battered. I still think the pros outweigh the cons. I would like to have one, myself, since I don't have a convection oven. It's by no means a priority, but some day, perhaps.

8. Lou
    Woot

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -3
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan

In my shopping around phase, I saw this one made by Cuisinart, it was very expensive and it was very big. But it was a toaster oven, and a broiler, and a convection oven, and an air fryer. It could go where my toaster is solving the counter space issue.
    It might not even be as big as it looks. I really ought to go over to a store and get a side by side comparison of some of these models. But the Cuisinart is still very expensive - $200.

Oh! I just discovered that some models are also dehydrators. My sister has a persimmon tree and I love dried persimmons.

Ha! Oh, the internet. the banner on the top of this page is now filled with air fryers.

9. Emma JC
    Joyful

Emma JC Active Member

Ratings:
    +286 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Isn't is interesting how that works....

Emma JC

10. windrose

windrose Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    What is every ones issue with oil? I eat french fries so infrequently the bit of oil l consume is not an issue and as soon as l finish eating them l have enough guilt to keep them off my diet for a month!
    Most ovens nowadays are convection which is the same thing anyhow.
    I purchased last year a Cuisenart GR300 Griddler and love it for grilling vegetables, paninni ,falafels, pancakes, mini stir fries. love it! Not a countertop appliance but it will store in the oven easily. I have a Breville food processor, a Vitamix and a Omega juicer. I also have a Breville juicer too but have relegated it to the end of the list as it is no longer used...should anyone wish to buy it contact me.

11. Kristyna

Kristyna Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    I have one and it is absolutely amazing!!!!

I love it and use it multiple times a week. Just to add a crispness with or without oil.

Mine is small enough to fit laying down in my cupboard.

• Like Like x 1