Should Cats be kept indoors or confined to the garden?

Sam

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
People make the argument that cats need to roam, and that they are happier outside free etc and its worth the risk of car death for them to have that life.

It leaves me dumbfounded. Do people REALLY think the high chance of being smashed to death by a car (millions of cats per year just in England alone) is worth the risk ? Just so they can roam a little further?

Dogs like to roam a bit too so do many pets, but no one lets them run on the road neither would you let a kid run on the road. Neither is it that bad for them if they have to stay in esp when compared with death or via being smashed to death.

Why do cat owners that claim they love their cat allow it to take such high risks on the road? (not to mention the risk of an animal abuser or sadist or annoyed neibour getting hold of their cat)

(its also not right that cats crap in peoples gardens and kill wild life like rare birds and reptiles, and breed top produce even more cats when they are being put down because they cant be rehomed in shelters)

It just makes no sense to me and these vile people keep saying the same dumb stuff and get to upset to respond with anything logical when I present them with what I think is reality.

Am I wrong?

Are they wrong?

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Well I can understand the argument that cats want to go outside just like we do. I'm not very fond of the "every cat should be a housecat" argument because it seems to go against what would make the cat's life happy.

On the other hand, people should definitely be responsible if they live in the city or near a busy street...not letting cats out makes a lot more sense this way. Although in this case the cat should have cat trees or something to climb on so that s/he is not bored and depressed.

I worked part-time at a no kill cat shelter in the back of someone's house. She screened in the back porch so that they could go outside sometimes. She also put a bird feeder in front of the sliding glass doors so that would entertain them. They also had lots of toys and an enormous cat tree and a double bed lol. They did not have to stay in cages unless they were ill or very badly behaved.

I like the idea of huge outdoor "cat runs" but I understand those take time and money.

Also...to address two of your points...um..cat crap fertilizes people's gardens so I don't understand why you think that's a problem. Feces is a natural source of soil fertilization. Plus a lot of people with outdoor cats have them spayed or neutered it's not like every cat that goes outdoors is reproducing indiscriminately.

cat crap fertilizes people's gardens so I don't understand why you think that's a problem.

1) It can stink, especially when of moist, mushy nature.

2) It is notoriously difficult to clean off the soles of shoes.

3) Young children are fascinated by just about everything.

4) Gardeners prefer their compost to be mature not green.

5) Cat faeces can carry a parasite that is dangerous for the unborn child and people with poor immune systems.

PS. I like cats too. They have such a show of independent and superior character. But please, not in my garden. :)

Roger.

1) It can stink, especially when of moist, mushy nature.

2) It is notoriously difficult to clean off the soles of shoes.

3) Young children are fascinated by just about everything.

4) Gardeners prefer their compost to be mature not green.

5) Cat faeces can carry a parasite that is dangerous for the unborn child and people with poor immune systems.

PS. I like cats too. They have such a show of independent and superior character. But please, not in my garden. :)

Roger.

Yes no one wants cat crap by their strawberries or flowers or to put their hand in it etc by mistake, no one wants poo especially a carnivores poo anywhere near them or their stuff, its almost universal human behavior.

While there are nice people like Rodger there are plenty of people that would happily poison them with anti freeze or worse microwave them. The more rough the people the more likely they are to be cruel.

There are also plenty of people that enjoy running them over or are completely unconcerned if they do or not.

But hey let your cat out to get poisoned, run over, tortured, or trapped (dehydrate to death), if you think its worth the risk so they can roam a little further.

I also question your vegan values if you let your cat out to kill endangered birds and reptiles.

Or keep the cat fenced in the back garden or house? Its real rocket science on what the best option is.

I hate most cat owners, I love cats so much.

Last edited:
I concede that if its a very low traffic area then its ok, but most people dont live in a low traffic area so its a bit irrelevant of a point.

I think the real reason most people dont want to accept my argument is because they dont want to face the reality that the death of most of their pet cats in by their hands, ie they let them get run over , over and over again, new cat new traffic accident, they then repeat the same mistake over and over, while being the victim, and never facing the idea that its them that cause the death of their own cats.

Reactions: FlandersOD
a few decades ago...cats were relatively ok roaming outside...but...traffic quantity and speed have increased so much that even in the welsh hills farmers who used to have their dogs loose no issues have stopped owning dogs even bigtime due to splats on the road. cats need to be supervised if out is my view. i had a cat splatted by a car...would not like to take that risk again.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
a few decades ago...cats were relatively ok roaming outside...but...traffic quantity and speed have increased so much that even in the welsh hills farmers who used to have their dogs loose no issues have stopped owning dogs even bigtime due to splats on the road. cats need to be supervised if out is my view. i had a cat splatted by a car...would not like to take that risk again.

Totally agree its tradition passed down without thought, worked in the 1930's with less traffic and less population density, now its a million cat deaths a year meat grinder in the UK alone. The place with one of the best animal welfare laws in the world.

Also the argument that cats alike a big territory and are not fully domestic is true of dogs too they prefer a territory and a bigger space to roam, no animal loses all its instincts when domesticated, and all animals give up many features they have in the wild, its so cruel and so stupid.

God I hate most people.

We have 5 indoor cats, 4 from 1 litter and 1 other. All started life as strays, but now happy members of our family. To protect the cats and the local wildlife they are all kept inside. One day we want an outside cat room, just hasn't happened yet. Even though they are inside their hunting instincts are still there, woe betide any poor cockroach who finds its way inside. Lots of toys, scratching posts, a couple of pots planted with grass, catmint and catnip rotated regularly help keep them entertained. Places to hide for alone time. Cuddles and food on demand, taps turned on when my special girl asks for a drink. Do not forget to keep the litter trays clean, tantrums will happen I'm telling you if the trays are not clean.

My cats are strictly indoor. Their well being is my responsibility and I can't safeguard that when they're outdoors.

Cars, dogs, coyotes, raccoons, fleas, ticks, cruel people with pellet guns...not to mention the animals they'd kill themselves. They probably are under stimulated, despite playing with them everyday, but it's for the best. When I first got them as kittens one of them escaped...he was found 3 days later, 20 blocks away on the opposite side of a freeway. When I moved further from traffic I tried letting them outside again...they were constantly getting stuck in trees or on roofs, and one of them fell about 30ft from a tree. I was able to partially break his fall...I saw it coming and would have caught him if he hadn't hit a power line on his way down. Yep, indoors for sure.

People make the argument that cats need to roam, and that they are happier outside free etc and its worth the risk of car death for them to have that life.

It leaves me dumbfounded. Do people REALLY think the high chance of being smashed to death by a car (millions of cats per year just in England alone) is worth the risk ? Just so they can roam a little further?

Dogs like to roam a bit too so do many pets, but no one lets them run on the road neither would you let a kid run on the road. Neither is it that bad for them if they have to stay in esp when compared with death or via being smashed to death.

Why do cat owners that claim they love their cat allow it to take such high risks on the road? (not to mention the risk of an animal abuser or sadist or annoyed neibour getting hold of their cat)

(its also not right that cats crap in peoples gardens and kill wild life like rare birds and reptiles, and breed top produce even more cats when they are being put down because they cant be rehomed in shelters)

It just makes no sense to me and these vile people keep saying the same dumb stuff and get to upset to respond with anything logical when I present them with what I think is reality.

Am I wrong?

Are they wrong?

Am I wrong?

Are they wrong?

I don't disagree with you. I live in urban Fort Lauderdale, Florida on a street that pinches together two main roads. Even if you take away the texter drivers, trains, trucks, and motorcycles there's still other animals, people, and the rest of Florida to worry about lol. My 900 sq ft apartment is organized as best as I can with their interests at heart in every room. They live in the Ritz for cats. I wouldn't complain

Here is my logical point of view and rant.
If you want to support a domesticated animal you need to first ask yourself if you and your property are capable of supporting a natural diet as well as enough space and safe freedom. If either one of those answers are no and you obtain a pet, you are doing it out of self interest and greed.
To "want" a kitten or puppy because they are cute, furry, and cuddly are the wrong reasons. If you cannot provide everything that animal needs in it's natural form you should re-think the idea.
If you feel you "need" a cat or dog because you are lonely then you need to do your own self help work to get to bottom of these feelings.
There is already an over breeding epidemic around the world of domestic cats, dogs, snakes, lizards etc...
There are adult animals which need homes more than the babies and adolescents. By buying those little ones, you are supporting the industry of over breeding and over population.
This is all directly correlated with being "vegan". People have lost the ability to stop and look at the big picture. This is also related to critical thinking.