Advertisement

Anyone keep a food diary?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Nekodaiden, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Do you keep a food diary?

Just wondering if anyone else does this. I keep a diary that I irregularly keep updated if I eat something and notice an effect later. This could be something good for me (like green veggie juice), or bad for me (like too much beer).

Among my diary entries is one for eating (rather drinking) a rather large amount of green vegetable smoothie, which for a brief time made me feel like I was getting more oxygen, a very good feeling.

Another was when I ate a rather large amount of sunflower seeds in one sitting, which made me feel good in a different way.

How about you? Do you, or have you kept a diary like this?

2. Lou
    Psychedelic

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I have. A couple of times in my life. but not now.

I have some kind of sleep disorder and for a while, I kept a checklist. Exercise, sunshine, caffeine, when I ate dinner, if i had a snack, when I went to bed, and when I woke up. I was hoping to find one key element to concentrate on. Instead, I found out that it was more like almost everything. And that it was even more difficult than I expected to stay "good".

I do frequently go back to my CronOmeter account. Especially when I have made some changes just to make sure I'm going oK nutrition wise. But it doesn't have a box to record feelings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I like CronOmeter. Have used it before, but not presently. I think in general it's a good tool. That being said, I feel the RDA for calcium is more reflective of industry influence than something scientifically determined.

I also think it should be used as a guideline, rather than a strict rule as to whether one is getting this or that nutrient, full stop. The body just doesn't work that way. For example, one can eat particular foods and get a bunch of nutrients they are after, and in the percentage bars see that they've nailed it for said nutrients and think they are fine for the day. What isn't taken into account is anti-nutrient foods that drain nutrients (like alcohol - vitamins and minerals, changes certain types of fat), or in general empty calorie or nearly nutrient-less foods that nevertheless require things like B vitamins to metabolize. For example, white sugar and olive oil (and all oil as far as I am aware) contain 0 B vitamins or minerals, but still require them to be metabolized.

Cronometer doesn't (-minus) them as far as I know, which is just one reason it's a good tool but can lead to misconceptions if one is unaware of such things.

• Like Like x 1