Advertisement

Baked tofu not crispy?

Discussion in 'Food' started by kdoyon, Sep 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kdoyon

kdoyon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Hi everyone!

Does anyone know how to bake tofu so that it comes out like the store bought baked tofu?

Every recipe I find seems to think that we all want crispy tofu!

I get a product from Whole Foods called "Jenny's Baked Tofu that is baked throughout, but not overcooked/crispy on the outside. It just comes out super firm.

Any ideas?

2. Veganite
    Balanced

Veganite Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +549 / 1 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    This video is hopefully the method you seek. I think the main difference in most of the crispy baked tofu recipes that I see is they add corn starch to help it crisp up. Simply omit the corn starch, as in the video, and you should have nicely baked, golden-browned tofu, but without that overly crisp texture.

Reducing the cook time, so that it's just a yellowy golden colour might work better for your desired texture.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Veggie-based Heathen
    Wishful

Veggie-based Heathen Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegetarian
    I agree with what Veganite said--adjusting the time might make a difference.

Another thing you may want to try is marinating your tofu. When I make baked tofu (I get extra firm), I'll drain it, cut it up, then marinate it for anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight. Adding in the moisture seems to make it resilient to crisping.