Baking paper/silicone sheets?

Datel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Now I have a considerable number of pots, casserole dishes made of glass or enamel, baking dishes made of enamel, but that usually doesn't help that much because I can't get the baked goods/cooked goods out of the containers in one piece because they stick so strongly. The baked goods/food break completely and cleaning is extremely time-consuming/difficult because of that.

If I had to use baking paper/durable baking paper anyway, I could have just used the old pots/baking tins with a bad/harmful coating or made of harmful/not good material.

I'm thinking about getting permanent baking paper, I just don't know if that could be harmful (like pots, baking trays, etc. with a special / harmful coating seem to be). Would something like this be recommended? Is it recommended to use normal baking paper?

You got me researching this one because I use silcone parchment sheets myself. It seems that silicone is nothing to do with silicon and is, in fact, artificial rubber which can get into your food at high temperatures. Usually you will read that it is safe at temperatures up to 200c but now I am not so sure. You will need to read this for yourself.
Why I Ditched Unbleached Parchment Paper and Baking Cups

The author does recommend an uncoated, vegetable-based brand, even though she prefers to work without it.
Patapar Paper, Cooking Parchment

As the author is the only one I know of who is concerned about this, it might be that there is no reason to be concerned. I just thought it good to give this information so that people can make up their own minds.

EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong. A large number of people are talking about it. I might at least greatly reduce my usage from now on until I know better.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I researched parchment paper/waxed paper and aluminum foil recently and was not happy with the results. It seems like nothing is safe anymore and it was making me crazy. I'm trying to calm down and keep things in perspective but it's hard.

• Friendly
Reactions: Brian W and Emma JC
You got me researching this one because I use silcone parchment sheets myself. It seems that silicone is nothing to do with silicon and is, in fact, artificial rubber which can get into your food at high temperatures. Usually you will read that it is safe at temperatures up to 200c but now I am not so sure. You will need to read this for yourself.
Why I Ditched Unbleached Parchment Paper and Baking Cups

The author does recommend an uncoated, vegetable-based brand, even though she prefers to work without it.
Patapar Paper, Cooking Parchment

As the author is the only one I know of who is concerned about this, it might be that there is no reason to be concerned. I just thought it good to give this information so that people can make up their own minds.

EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong. A large number of people are talking about it. I might at least greatly reduce my usage from now on until I know better.
OK. So as of today, I've seen no physicians or RD's or anyone invested in health oppose the use of parchment or silicone for roasting veggies that are low in fats or protein. What they absolutely warn against are oils, dairy products, or baking foods with fat & protein that create advanced glycogen end products--which are advocated in this article

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W
I have also agonized over this and at one point bought some of those siilicon sheets and took them back because of the smell and can't bring myself to buy even the more expensive versions as they seem so sticky and likely to emit stuff into my food.

I use non-bleached parchment paper and when the items are not too messy or oily I reuse it - like when I made falafel the other night, there isn't any oil in them and so I just folded up the paper and am keeping it for the next round.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
OK. So as of today, I've seen no physicians or RD's or anyone invested in health oppose the use of parchment or silicone for roasting veggies that are low in fats or protein. What they absolutely warn against are oils, dairy products, or baking foods with fat & protein that create advanced glycogen end products--which are advocated in this article
That's useful information. I tried looking for science or medical sources first of all but couldn't find any.

Many thanks for the links. Yes, clear statements.

As the author is the only one I know of who is concerned about this, it might be that there is no reason to be concerned.
The problem is (like usual on the Internet / else where) there are many contradictory / unclear / mutually restrictive / wrong informations. I can find everything about baking paper so to say.

Yes, the best, of course, would be not to use baking paper at all. But how then do you get the baked goods out of the mold intact?

Here a translation of a source (sounds quite trustworthy / plausible, but maybe it is not):

2. Is using parchment paper safe?

Yes and no. There are many types of parchment paper on the market. Some of them are cheap, coated with toxic chemicals like Quilon etc to make the price more affordable. Some of them are not even coated with any additional non-stick agent like silicone to make them safer.

Therefore, it is important to purchase silicone-coated parchment paper instead of Quilon-coated. If you buy high-quality parchment paper, it is completely safe to use for any purpose. Premium quality parchment paper has the following security features:

Odor free
Hypoallergenic
When used within the recommended temperature ranges, no chemicals will leach into the food.
Withstands temperatures up to 428 degrees Fahrenheit (220° Celsius).
Non-toxic because they are coated with silicone, which consists of quartz sand, oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, etc., all non-toxic, naturally occurring elements

Also use unbleached parchment paper for heating, e.g. B. for cooking, frying, steaming, roasting etc. as it does not release chemicals. Bleached parchment paper, on the other hand, can release dioxins and other harmful chemicals when heated.

Bleached parchment paper looks good. You can use it for applications where heat is not involved, such as wrapping something, making a cone, etc.

Or (not just for baking paper):

OK. So as of today, I've seen no physicians or RD's or anyone invested in health oppose the use of parchment or silicone
I guess, there also were no physicians or RD's or anyone that said it is not harmful or good. So a clear statement would be good / better. Above all, the “harmfulness” apparently also depends on the type of baking paper.

oppose the use of parchment or silicone for roasting veggies that are low in fats or protein.
So baking paper is (perhaps) not harmful when used only for these foods? For others it (perhaps) is?

This seems pretty certain: if baking paper is used incorrectly (e.g. too high temperature, the same sheet used too often), it is said to be "very" harmful / might be very harmful.

There are many recipes / preparations demanding for example 250° C (a standard temperature on each oven, mostly the highest one, I guess). But very many baking papers should only be used up to 200° / 220° (according to manufacturer's instructions). I assume this is hardly taken into account by the users.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the links. Yes, clear statements.

The problem is (like usual on the Internet / else where) there are many contradictory / unclear / mutually restrictive / wrong informations. I can find everything about baking paper so to say.

Yes, the best, of course, would be not to use baking paper at all. But how then do you get the baked goods out of the mold intact?

Here a translation of a source (sounds quite trustworthy / plausible, but maybe it is not):

Or (not just for baking paper):

I guess, there also were no physicians or RD's or anyone that said it is not harmful or good. So a clear statement would be good / better. Above all, the “harmfulness” apparently also depends on the type of baking paper.

So baking paper is (perhaps) not harmful when used only for these foods? For others it (perhaps) is?

This seems pretty certain: if baking paper is used incorrectly (e.g. too high temperature, the same sheet used too often), it is said to be "very" harmful / might be very harmful.

There are many recipes / preparations demanding for example 250° C. But very many baking papers should only be used up to 200° / 220° (according to manufacturer's instructions). I assume this is hardly taken into account by the users.

The first source you quoted has confused silicone with silicon.
Non-toxic because they are coated with silicone, which consists of quartz sand, oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, etc., all non-toxic, naturally occurring elements

Silicone - Wikipedia
In organosilicon and polymer chemistry, a silicone or polysiloxane is a polymer composed of repeating units of siloxane (−O−R2Si−O−SiR2−, where R = organic group). They are typically colorless oils or rubber-like substances. Silicones are used in sealants, adhesives, lubricants, medicine, cooking utensils, thermal insulation, and electrical insulation

The first source you quoted has confused silicone with silicon.
Very sorry, I would assume it's a translation error. So I would assume silicone is meant.

Thank you for the link.

Reactions: KLS52
Very sorry, I would assume it's a translation error. So I would assume silicone is meant.

Thank you for the link.
The translation says silicone and is correct but describes silicon. Parchment paper is not coated with silicon so their statement about non-toxic, naturally occurring elements is false.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
Are you really sure about that?

Silicones are compounds that contain silicon, carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and perhaps other kinds of atoms as well, and have many very different physical and chemical properties.

The German silikonbeschichtetes translates to silicone coated. They translated this correctly on the site BUT...
The description "consists of quartz sand, oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, etc., all non-toxic, naturally occurring elements" describes silicon, not silicone and is therefore wrong.

Sorry, I do not understand.

I would think if silicon is contained in silicone (that coates parchment paper, respectively is a part of parchment paper) and silicon "consists of quartz sand, oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, etc., all non-toxic, naturally occurring elements", then quartz sand, oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, etc., all non-toxic, naturally occurring elements must be contained in silicone as well. How could it be any different?

Here an excerpt (saying the "opposite" regarding pollutants) from another text of another source:
Silicone baking mats: They are made of silicon, oxygen and hydrocarbons. Chemicals can leach from silicone into food, including those that have been classified as pollutants of particular concern. Specific limit values and regulations for silicone are currently missing.

Last edited: