Breakfast tips (i don't like dairy replacements)

Primavera

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Hi everyone,

Recently I've started to put dairy products aside. Main reason is that I started to have more and more problems with eczema and since food (dairy and soy) intolerance runs in my family I thought, maybe in combination with other factors like stress I have some sort of low tolerance as well. So far so good, and maybe it's coincidental I cannot say yet because it usually comes and goes, but my eczema has gotten a bit better over the past weeks.

Now, the only thing is that I find difficult to adjust to is my breakfast routine. I just don't really like dairy replacement products and dairy products were always my go-to in my breakfast like oatmeal and yoghurt with muesli/granola whatever. Oatmeal with ricemilk is tolerable to me and I could get used to that but for the yoghurt .. I don't like soy yoghurt, the flavoured ones as well and the supermarket here also sells coconut yoghurt but that's just far too expensive to take up in my daily diet.

So now I'm looking for inspiration to expand my breakfast menu, preferably without dairy replacement and soy yoghurt (or ways to make them better haha), and without bread, to make a quick but nice and nutritious dairy-free breakfast. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't like certain replacement products :)

I sometimes make oatmeal without soy milk, and it turns out fine, at least I think so. I would suggest scrambled tofu, but you mentioned possible soy intolerance in your family... Are you avoiding soy right now too? If not, maybe some scrambled tofu. Also, you could make a breakfast burrito type thing without the tortilla if you are avoiding bread-like products. You could use black beans, veggies, avocado, tomatoes, etc. Or you could have bananas with peanut butter, or fruit with a side of nuts to keep you fuller for longer.

Those are the quickest ones to make that I can think of right now, but there are also things like pancakes.

Reactions: Lou
Lentil gravy and biscuits (got the recipe from thug kitchen)
Avocado toast with sliced tomato
Waffles

You can also make anything you like for breakfast. It doesn't have to be considered breakfast food. It makes it a lot easier to figure out what to eat once you break out of the mold of certain food are for certain times.

I usually have oatmeal with soy milk. But a few weeks ago i bought some steel cut oats as an experiment. Had trouble difficulty figuring out to cook them in the microwave. And they take too long on the stove top (well, i don't have the patience). Anyway, I found a recipe to make them in a rice cooker. but you had to soak them overnight. So I made a big batch and soaked them overnight right in the rice cooker and then turned it on in the morning. It still takes forever, but at least you don't have to keep stirring it.
When it was finally finished i put it in a Tupperware bowl and stored it in the frig. Then each morning all i had to do was nuke it for a minute. I did add a little soy milk for flavour when i nuke it. Oh, and i added cinnamon to the rice cooker.
I really liked it and I'm going to do that again.

You can also make smoothies without "milk". They are a little short on protein - but good for other things. My favourite is pineapple juice with pineapples, mango, and papaya. You can add just about anything else - like flax seed or whatever.

I also like breakfast burritos. a tortilla is only a little bit of grains.

I don't ever use milk when making oatmeal, especially steel cut. 3 cups of water to 3/4 cup of steel cut, on the stove top and they are done fairly quickly. I used to put a bit of milk on top of my oatmeal with the brown sugar and no longer do that as I put some berries, some flax meal, and a bit of maple syrup instead. I also put frozen cranberries in the water, on the stove, and so have those extra tasty bits in the porridge.

Do try making your oatmeal with just water and you may love it as much as before.

Another breakfast idea is canned breakfast beans with toast and, also, precooked potatoes reheated and spiced with or without the beans. High Carb Hannah has come up with a good idea recently of precooking (in the Instant Pot or however you cook whole potatoes) 3 pounds or more of potatoes and then storing them, covered, in the fridge so you can grab them and reheat them whenever you wish something quick. One of her recent videos has 3 recipes for this.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
Lentil gravy and biscuits (got the recipe from thug kitchen)
Avocado toast with sliced tomato
Waffles

You can also make anything you like for breakfast. It doesn't have to be considered breakfast food. It makes it a lot easier to figure out what to eat once you break out of the mold of certain food are for certain times.

You are totally right. As probably many people I'm a creature of habit, so also my creativity has a lot of difficulties letting go of my yoghurt with muesli.

So thank you all for the tips, gives me a bit of inspiration to try other things :)

Fifty grams of oatmeal (rolled) and 250ml of water. 3 minutes in a 800 microwave. Then you can bung in anything you like. I usually add blueberries and banana. I have this for breakfast and tea.
You can wash up the dish in cold water - saving more energy.

Reactions: Veganite and Lou
Mushroom+tomato+toast
Cereal
Avocado toast
Fruits - cut and mix 3-4 together if it gets dull

Good luck

Reactions: Veganite