Camel milk.. is this some kind of "trend"?

new vegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
After going plant based, i stopped dairy almost a year ago.

I received an invite to a "Vegan Convention" and one of the guests was the CEO of Desert Farms. Being curious to this new world, i decided to see what they were selling. (Living in the Desert Myself, i thought they had a "spin" on cactus, or something,)

Whelp! Desert Farms sells Camel Milk. And it's not cheap. $18 - $20.00+ a PINT.. They're claiming it's closest to human milk than any other. And folks are actually buying it.

I'm not a fan of milk of any kind, especially after watching a few documentaries.. But i'm surprised this made it's way into a "Vegan Convention" or the community?

Camel's milk is not the closest milk to human milk. but it is the closest when you just compare the milks of domesticated animals. And its thought - whether its closest or not - to be one of the healthiest choices of milks that are actually available to purchase.

I think the closest to human milk is zebra milk. And that has a lot to do with the water content. Zebras (and camels) live in dry places so it's important to keep the infant hydrated. So the milk is fairly dilute. For whatever evolutionary reason - so is human milk.

This reminds me of a story that Colleen Patrick Goudreaux used in one of her cooking classes. She read an article about whatever was the popular milk of the month - I think it was goat's milk. But every time the article used the word goat she substituted a different animal. I can't remember now but I think she used jackals. Or maybe hyenas. It was amusing to see the range of expressions on the classes faces. Mostly disgust. Of course, she eventually owned up to her prank. but the point she was trying to be made is: why is it so OK to drink milk from goats or cows or camels. But people find other species to be so unsuitable for milk.

I would like to take her prank one step further. How about a make believe study that showed that dogs produce excellent milk for people. and we already have millions of homeless dogs. Why not gather up all the homeless dogs, inseminate them and milk them. Can you imagine the response of the audience?

Reactions: new vegan
After going plant based, i stopped dairy almost a year ago.

I received an invite to a "Vegan Convention" and one of the guests was the CEO of Desert Farms. Being curious to this new world, i decided to see what they were selling. (Living in the Desert Myself, i thought they had a "spin" on cactus, or something,)

Whelp! Desert Farms sells Camel Milk. And it's not cheap. $18 - $20.00+ a PINT.. They're claiming it's closest to human milk than any other. And folks are actually buying it.

I'm not a fan of milk of any kind, especially after watching a few documentaries.. But i'm surprised this made it's way into a "Vegan Convention" or the community?

I’m not surprised. There are plenty of industries that hate Veganism, because they don’t see how they can monopolize it and make consistent profit from it. So they have to lie and try to work in animal products somehow under the name Vegan. Perhaps a “healthier” animal milk, or “ethical meat” (lab grown, for instance).

A package that reads: “This chicken lived a cage free natural life in open fields and died of natural causes. Here Vegans, eat! Don’t worry, your ethics won’t be tarnished!”

A package that reads: “This milk was available because the baby died in childbirth. It’s healthier than cows because it’s more like human’s milk. Vegan approved.”

A package that reads: “All the animal flesh in our products were gathered from animals that died in their natural habitat without factory farming. Our company prides itself on not contributing to damaging the environment”

In short, industry will always work these various angles in an attempt to get people addicted to animal flesh and by products. That’s how they keep their profitable monopoly. To some extent they will succeed because the philosophers and more enlightened among us will have their boxes ticked, their diet just a “part” of their broader, more enlightened and moral Veganism, so of course, a little ethical, animal friendly and environmentally neutral flesh eating can’t be that bad, right?

Serpent whispering lies in the Garden.

Well the reason it got to your vegan convention is because some people stomp their feet and whine when vegans attempt to restrict or expand the definition of veganism to humans who try their best not to exploit animals, and furthermore try to stop others in whatever peaceful manner as well. Some people on this forum think we should "welcome all comers" even if they think they're on a health-food diet.

This type of "vegan" is looking for the next imperialist trend that will provide them with the luxurious health products and miracle cures and easy solutions that also accompanies ******** like paleo, unnecessary gluten-free (meaning 99% of the population), and Slim Fast.

That's how. That's why. Watch your "vegans" carefully. The person who is simply looking for the latest easiest way to look good or get slim is probably the biggest entitled speciesist on earth. They blend in better with "normal" people because they see their diet...as a "diet" ....and don't give anyone a hard time. "Why can't you be like Mary Sue? She doesn't care if I eat baby cows!"

None of this surprises me in the slightest, particularly having lived in Los Angeles.

A package that reads: “This chicken lived a cage free natural life in open fields and died of natural causes. Here Vegans, eat! Don’t worry, your ethics won’t be tarnished!”

A package that reads: “This milk was available because the baby died in childbirth. It’s healthier than cows because it’s more like human’s milk. Vegan approved.”

A package that reads: “All the animal flesh in our products were gathered from animals that died in their natural habitat without factory farming. Our company prides itself on not contributing to damaging the environment”

A down sleeping bag company years ago offered custom bags with down that had been hand collected from unoccupied nests. $100/oz.

Well the reason it got to your vegan convention is because some people stomp their feet and whine when vegans attempt to restrict or expand the definition of veganism to humans who try their best not to exploit animals, and furthermore try to stop others in whatever peaceful manner as well. Some people on this forum think we should "welcome all comers" even if they think they're on a health-food diet.

This type of "vegan" is looking for the next imperialist trend that will provide them with the luxurious health products and miracle cures and easy solutions that also accompanies ******** like paleo, unnecessary gluten-free (meaning 99% of the population), and Slim Fast.

That's how. That's why. Watch your "vegans" carefully. The person who is simply looking for the latest easiest way to look good or get slim is probably the biggest entitled speciesist on earth. They blend in better with "normal" people because they see their diet...as a "diet" ....and don't give anyone a hard time. "Why can't you be like Mary Sue? She doesn't care if I eat baby cows!"

None of this surprises me in the slightest, particularly having lived in Los Angeles.

I understand that Vegan is a diet - this comes straight from Donald Watson. Just curious if I am in the "vegan" (quotation mark emphasis) category in your mind, and if Watson is too?

Started a thread on this: https://veganforum.org/threads/youre-not-a-real-vegan-youre-not-vegan-enough.2785/

Second video is what I refer to. First video is still funny except it's quite unfortunate Vegetable Police had to mar his channel by going Carni...or saying he did (have yet to see him eat meat). Anywhoo - second video.

Camel's milk is not the closest milk to human milk. but it is the closest when you just compare the milks of domesticated animals. And its thought - whether its closest or not - to be one of the healthiest choices of milks that are actually available to purchase.

I think the closest to human milk is zebra milk. And that has a lot to do with the water content. Zebras (and camels) live in dry places so it's important to keep the infant hydrated. So the milk is fairly dilute. For whatever evolutionary reason - so is human milk.

This reminds me of a story that Colleen Patrick Goudreaux used in one of her cooking classes. She read an article about whatever was the popular milk of the month - I think it was goat's milk. But every time the article used the word goat she substituted a different animal. I can't remember now but I think she used jackals. Or maybe hyenas. It was amusing to see the range of expressions on the classes faces. Mostly disgust. Of course, she eventually owned up to her prank. but the point she was trying to be made is: why is it so OK to drink milk from goats or cows or camels. But people find other species to be so unsuitable for milk.

I would like to take her prank one step further. How about a make believe study that showed that dogs produce excellent milk for people. and we already have millions of homeless dogs. Why not gather up all the homeless dogs, inseminate them and milk them. Can you imagine the response of the audience?
Camel milk provides you with many nutrients your body needs for overall health. Camel milk’s nutritional value holds a lot of have a lot of health benefits. Protein, calorie and carb content present in the camel milk make the milk comparable to whole cow’s milk. However, the saturated fat content of camel milk is lower.

It also provides you with health benefits of potassium, iron, calcium, B vitamins and vitamin C. Camel milk also provides unsaturated fatty acids, linoleic acid, long-chain fatty acids and other healthy fats. These are good for the health of your brain and heart.

Half cup of camel milk provides you with 50 calories, 3 grams protein, 3 grams fat, 5 grams carbs, 29% of the daily value thiamine, 8% of the daily value riboflavin, 16% of the daily value calcium, 6% of the daily value of potassium, 6% of the daily value phosphorus and 5% of the daily value vitamin C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Camel milk provides you with many nutrients your body needs for overall health. Camel milk’s nutritional value holds a lot of have a lot of health benefits. Protein, calorie and carb content present in the camel milk make the milk comparable to whole cow’s milk. However, the saturated fat content of camel milk is lower.

It also provides you with health benefits of potassium, iron, calcium, B vitamins and vitamin C. Camel milk also provides unsaturated fatty acids, linoleic acid, long-chain fatty acids and other healthy fats. These are good for the health of your brain and heart.

Half cup of camel milk provides you with 50 calories, 3 grams protein, 3 grams fat, 5 grams carbs, 29% of the daily value thiamine, 8% of the daily value riboflavin, 16% of the daily value calcium, 6% of the daily value of potassium, 6% of the daily value phosphorus and 5% of the daily value vitamin C.
So what? The nutritional content of camel baby milk is not what was in question!