Changing to Vegan Diet before Surgery

Arielmermaid

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
Hi there,

Im new to this site and not a vegan yet.

Im having surgery on the 12th January to remove an ovarian cyst, I'm having the surgery done by keyhole.

I want to change to the Vegan diet as I really don't like the animal cruelty side of eating meat and dairy plus I believe that the hormones in the meat and dairy we eat may cause hormonal issues with me including the thing I need surgery for.

My question is should I go vegan before my surgery or wait until afterwards when I'm recovered? Will it affect my recovery changing so soon before?

Hello, welcome to the forums :)

I'm no professional but I would wait till you've had surgery just in case, for instance you could have an allergic reaction to soya beans or something else that you've never had before which is something I personally wouldn't have to want to deal with while recovering from surgery.

As long as you eat the right foods I can't see how choosing to eat a vegan diet will effect recovering.

Also, I moved your thread over to the support section :)

Hello Arielmermaid. I should take it slow on the vegan front when you come home. I was vegetarian for a few years before becoming vegan and I still have a dodgy tummy now and then thanks to the change in diet. So to go straight to vegan might be uncomfortable. My brother gave up dairy for health reasons and that has been very effective for him. Maybe cut out the dairy, then slowly cut down on the meat, over a year maybe and that might make it an easier transition. A vegan meal a week, then two and so on. Not that I'm an expert, this just seems a good way from what I have observed. You can also make the change to only use make-up, etc that is cruelty free and not buy any leather or wool or furs. Hope this helps.

Best wishes for the 12th.:sun:

Hello Arielmermaid. I should take it slow on the vegan front when you come home. I was vegetarian for a few years before becoming vegan and I still have a dodgy tummy now and then thanks to the change in diet. So to go straight to vegan might be uncomfortable.

Hi Sally. Is it not possible that you might be intolerant or allergic to something in your new vegan diet?
For instance it took me several months, after transitioning, to realise I was one of the unlucky soy intolerant people!

Yes, Winterfrost, I think you may be right. I'm still working it all out. I had a really uncomfortable tummy after eating tofu. Also, since giving up dairy, I was vegetarian for a few years before, I haven't noticed any mucus reduction, I don't know why, other people have told me it's the first thing that happens to them. I have bought Prof. Arnold Ehret's Mucusless Diet Healing System. I've just started reading it at the moment, I haven't yet put it into practise, but will update this forum when I have got going.

Also, since giving up dairy, I was vegetarian for a few years before, I haven't noticed any mucus reduction, I don't know why, other people have told me it's the first thing that happens to them. I have bought Prof. Arnold Ehret's Mucusless Diet Healing System. I've just started reading it at the moment, I haven't yet put it into practise, but will update this forum when I have got going.

If it counts, I didn't notice this either. At least, if it has reduced it isn't enough to make it significant.
Before going vegan I was lacto-vegetarian for a very long time (no eggs but diary), so - in terms of control testing - I should have been a clear cut case. Perhaps we are both exceptions to the rule? I wouldn't know.