Considering state fairs & work

Thom

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello!

I'm an artist (and a vegan). Recently, I was approached by organizers of the state fair to create some artwork for the event. I'm struggling with what to do...

Fairs are not great places for animals.

The artwork I would be doing is not necessarily related to the animal components of the fair. If you're unfamiliar with state fairs, most seem more focused on the carnival side than the animal agriculture side.

I'm a freelancer, so every project counts. It can be really tough to turn down work. However, I have no desire to be involved with or promote cruelty to animals.

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on how they might handle a situation like this.

If I am not mistaken, produce is also a very large component of state fairs?

Could you focus on that aspect and on the carnival side? Maybe some artwork that shows the vegetables enjoying the rides? and playing the carnival games?

My first thoughts were ones that would not ever have you invited back as an artist..... an art piece that has the animals standing around judging and putting blue ribbons on humans.... and other ideas along those lines ....

All the best with your decision.

Emma JC

Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
If I am not mistaken, produce is also a very large component of state fairs?

Could you focus on that aspect and on the carnival side? Maybe some artwork that shows the vegetables enjoying the rides? and playing the carnival games?

My first thoughts were ones that would not ever have you invited back as an artist..... an art piece that has the animals standing around judging and putting blue ribbons on humans.... and other ideas along those lines ....

All the best with your decision.

Emma JC

Emma! Thanks for the response. I was so focused on the animal stuff that I hadn't considered the other stuff. I went ahead and informed the organizers that I'm vegan and that I'd like to participate as long as I'm not required to promote the animal elements of the event.