Dairy free cheese

Hannah Mcguire

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Pretty new to the vegan life and looking for recommendations for a cheese substitute - would like something akin to a medium/mature cheddar that will melt well.

Also a cream cheese to use on bagels and the like!

Thanks

I use Earth Island cheddar shreds, when I do add cheese, equivalent to Follow Your Heart in the USA and here is a link for the UK.

I recently used a firm Silken Tofu for a cream cheese like product. It was chip dip but I can see it working the same. I did not squeeze out the water, you may wish to, I did hit it with the immersion blender to make it creamy, then added the spice mix and let sit in the fridge for a while. I googled some recipes and found many of them adding olive oil to the tofu, there is not need to do that as it is creamy already - here is a webpage that has some interesting and oil free recipes for cream cheese. It says to use a food processor and I am sure that would be fine, however, I found the immersion blender worked great and it is an inexpensive one.

Emma JC
ps welcome to vegan life and to the forum, Hannah!!

Welcome!!

First some Bad news

If you are new to the vegan life, AND love cheese, prepare to be disappointed. There is nothing non-dairy that really compares with real cheese. I should mention that I have been off dairy for 20 years. I did most of my non-dairy cheese explorations a long time ago and I know today that there are lots more options. So maybe there are some good or at least better options than I know about.

Then some sort of bad news.

First off, cheese is really really bad for you. I don't remember who coined the phrase, but cheeses are just little fat bombs. A One-inch cube of cheddar has about 100 calories and 6 grams of sat fat. Yeah, it has protein and calcium. but it also has sodium and NO fiber. Also, I'm pretty sure it has been scientifically proven to be addictive.

So... you are better off without it.

And nondairy cheese.... most of them are just made with vegetable oil. Daiya cheddar isn't much better than regular cheddar. Although they have lots less saturated fat. They also have less protein, very little fiber, and more sodium.

Finally the Good news.
I'm a big fan of bagel sandwiches. I've tried all the different nondairy cream cheeses that my local store has. None of them are great. I think I eventually settled on Tofutti's brand. but I'm pretty sure there are even more options than there used to be.

None of them are awful. I did make my own a few times, This one wasn't my favorite tasting but it is the healthiest one. Most of the time I just use hummus on my bagel sandwiches now. It is much healthier. Also, I have found that unless I have a bagel almost every morning the cream cheese will go bad before I can finish it. Although hummus goes bad too, I can use the hummus for snacks in the afternoon.

I have been having grilled cheese sandwiches a lot lately and so far I think I like Field Roast Chao slices best. Follow Your Heart is OK, too.

I haven't tried it yet because it is just so expensive but Miyoko's Kitchen products have gotten great reviews. Miyoko also has a cookbook if you would like to try your hand on making your own.

Last edited:
I have been having grilled cheese sandwiches a lot lately and so far I think I like Field Roast Chao slices best. Follow Your Heart is OK, too.

I haven't tried it yet because it is just so expensive but Miyoko's Kitchen products have gotten great reviews. Miyoko also has a cookbook if you would like to try your hand on making your own.

Chao is great, I agree! Follow Your Heart Gouda is awesome, too, in my opinion! Mioko's has good "cheese," but it is definitely expensive. I have only tried the vegan mozz. I liked it, but I think I prefer the Follow Your Heart.

Reactions: Lou
I use Earth Island cheddar shreds, when I do add cheese, equivalent to Follow Your Heart in the USA and here is a link for the UK.

I recently used a firm Silken Tofu for a cream cheese like product. It was chip dip but I can see it working the same. I did not squeeze out the water, you may wish to, I did hit it with the immersion blender to make it creamy, then added the spice mix and let sit in the fridge for a while. I googled some recipes and found many of them adding olive oil to the tofu, there is not need to do that as it is creamy already - here is a webpage that has some interesting and oil free recipes for cream cheese. It says to use a food processor and I am sure that would be fine, however, I found the immersion blender worked great and it is an inexpensive one.

Emma JC
ps welcome to vegan life and to the forum, Hannah!!
I totally Agree with you on immersion blenders, they work so smooth!

Last edited:
Welcome!!

First some Bad news

If you are new to the vegan life, AND love cheese, prepare to be disappointed. There is nothing non-dairy that really compares with real cheese. I should mention that I have been off dairy for 20 years. I did most of my non-dairy cheese explorations a long time ago and I know today that there are lots more options. So maybe there are some good or at least better options than I know about.
This is why I didn't bother to try any non-dairy cheeses for a good three years after I went vegan. Of the ones I've tried I would say the Follow Your Heart smoked gouda is the most satisfying to me. Daiya seems to have lost its flavor, so I stopped buying it. I used to like the Daiya cheddar blocks, but they seem to have disappeared from store shelves.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
This is why I didn't bother to try any non-dairy cheeses for a good three years after I went vegan. Of the ones I've tried I would say the Follow Your Heart smoked gouda is the most satisfying to me. Daiya seems to have lost its flavor, so I stopped buying it. I used to like the Daiya cheddar blocks, but they seem to have disappeared from store shelves.

You were right. Non of the non dairy versions really taste like the real thing.

When Daiya came out with their farmhouse blocks I it was the first time I liked a vegan cheddar (or any flavor) just plain sliced cold. I was so enamored I tasted a real cheddar to compare. The Daiya won, the dairy had a nasty aftertaste
I like all Daiya farmhouse block cheeeses, and Follow Your Heart slices and shredded parmasean (only ones I tried by them though
).
I have made spreads with cashews and refined coconut oil that were very tasty. Creme chees with strained soy yogurt and sweet added

Reactions: Lou and kelli