Dreading christmas dinner with family

ski

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
i do sit in my room at christmas anyway the family i cant stand no longer than 5 min interactions being vegan now is just another added thing i have to explain to them but it is like talking to a brick wall i dont like my family to begin with does anyone else have this issue

Reactions: halfricangirl
Back in the day, (even before going vegan) I found out that the best day all year to go skiing was Christmas day. No crowds. So a few days before Christmas, I would take off on a ski trip.
I think in most places Thanksgiving skiing isn't reliable. So I found a church that needed help with delivering Thanksgiving dinners to people who were stuck at home. The only problem with that is they finish up before noon so that regular people can get home to their own dinners. but no reason to tell your family that. Plus I bet there are other things they could use your help with. AND it is also a good way to meet girls. I bet there are churches who deliver Christmas dinners too.

Back in the day, (even before going vegan) I found out that the best day all year to go skiing was Christmas day. No crowds. So a few days before Christmas, I would take off on a ski trip.
I think in most places Thanksgiving skiing isn't reliable. So I found a church that needed help with delivering Thanksgiving dinners to people who were stuck at home. The only problem with that is they finish up before noon so that regular people can get home to their own dinners. but no reason to tell your family that. Plus I bet there are other things they could use your help with. AND it is also a good way to meet girls. I bet there are churches who deliver Christmas dinners too.

i see dude thats actually a better idea

so ski, you must live at home with your parents? is that correct?

Maybe you could also consider contributing to the dinner? there are lots of Christmas dinner items that can easily be vegan like the mashed potatoes (buy some almond milk for mixing), squash and root vegetables mashes, carrots or brussel sprouts or corn etc. I make a simple dressing with whole wheat bread and veggie stock, cranberries, onions etc. You could easily find a vegan dessert recipe online. For your own 'turkey' you could find the package of Gardein rolls, they are delicious.

Sometimes by being involved and being helpful and leading by example it may cut down on the controversy?

Just a thought.... and I like Lou's idea also.

BTW, we just had to drive to a family visit and I solved the eating issue by just bringing and making the food. It was tasty enough that everyone was happy to have some and still eat their own as well. The topic of what we eat was addressed only briefly once, there was no preaching by us as they know our stance and no hassle from them because I didn't sit around waiting to be fed food that I wouldn't wish to eat....

Emma JC

I really like @Lou 's idea!
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I am no longer feeling like I want to sit down at a table where people are eating animals anymore. I know that sounds extreme, but I am getting so that I just cannot stomach it. It's bad enough that I have to look at it on social media, I don't need to hear it and smell it, too. If I don't get invited to stuff b/c of that, so be it. That's what my vegan Meetup groups are for.

Another alternative is to plan to host the holiday at your home - all vegan of course. Perhaps next year's plan?

i do sit in my room at christmas anyway the family i cant stand no longer than 5 min interactions being vegan now is just another added thing i have to explain to them but it is like talking to a brick wall i dont like my family to begin with does anyone else have this issue

Wait a second you don't like your family to begin with, yet you're considering eating meat just to please them? Why is that? Is this a self-esteem issue, because it doesn't sound at all like caring about humans more than animals in any rational way. Are they paying for your college, do you have a trust fund, are you thinking of eating an animal to continue the lifestyle to which you've become financially accustomed? I'm confused.

I don't go to any family gatherings anymore, why would you subject yourself to it. I don't drink alcohol either so it's an easy choice. I stay at home and enjoy my music and peace, there's no missing out.

Reactions: TofuRobot
I made vegan stuffed mushrooms for thanksgiving at my house to help out and my meat-eating brother said he was allergic. Yeah, he is allergic to anything slightly healthy apparently. He always makes fun of me but I feel sorry for him and his poor health choices. So he can laugh all he wants, I'm not the one who is contributing to animal death and getting food related illnesses. All my family members have a problem with my being vegan. I've learned to not give it too much thought.

Reactions: Emma JC and Sax
If people don't respect my choices and my believes I don't partake in their religious mumbo-jumbo.

Reactions: Sax