Ellen - just another celebrity 'vegan' sellout. :(

Humans choosing to sacrifice their morals to make a buck?! . . . and a celebrity at that?!!? :eek:

Soooooo shocking. :rolleyes:

I've honestly gotten to the point where I just assume that celebrity vegans are not actually leading a vegan lifestyle. (maybe DIET, but surely not the lifestyle. Which is what veganism is.) With the exception of Sir Paul. I think he's in it to win it (for the animals!)

I have admired Ellen ever since I was a teenager as she came out so openly on her TV sitcom.

I find it really baffling as to why she would do this when she is such an outspoken person regarding cruelty to animals.o_O

I understand making a distinction between using milk, egg, meat, fur, etc, and using leather generally, since most leather does not come from animals who are bred and killed primarily for their skins (except for buckskin. Deer are sometimes farmed mostly for their hides- the venison is the byproduct. source: American Leather Institute website)

But Ms Degeneres should have been aware that vegans reject leather on principle. I hope at least she's not going to start chowing down on dairy-coated pizza, meat ("happy" or otherwise!!), etc for the sake of consistency.

(edited first sentence to clarify)

Last edited:
^^^Someone posted to that effect in a similar thread over at Veggieboards. There's no question that the fur industry is cruel, and I wouldn't say the leather industry actually cares about animals either (even if it isn't usually the reason the animals were bred and killed in the first place). But I haven't seen any evidence that animals are skinned alive for leather (not that this necessarily means you are incorrect).

ETA: on second thought, now I remember coming across some really bad news about certain kinds of calfskin or lambskin, and also about leather from cows in India who no longer gave milk and were either killed or allowed to die. This still would not apply to most leather. But in any case, leather isn't vegan- and neither is Ms Degeneres if she's going through with this.