Fda may force soy and almond 'milk' companies to change labeling

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Not this again.
Now it's the FDA.
They want Plant Milk companies to stop using the word milk. This has been tried before. I believe most recently in Washington State.

It's just stupid. Consumers understand almond milk has nothing to do with cows. That's why they buy it. Maybe they figure no one would like to buy Almond Juice or Soy Juice. I think one company has already changed they products to use the word Mylk. I'm sort of perverse but I would buy it even if it was called Soy Cum.

I guess the law is already on the books. But the FDA has never enforced it. So it's not like they have to make a new law like they tried in Washington. But although the first usage of the word milk is
"a : a fluid secreted by the mammary glands of females for the nourishment of their young "
"b (1) : milk from an animal and especially a cow used as food by people

There is a second usage
"(2) : a food product produced from seeds or fruit that resembles and is used similarly to cow's milk
  • coconut milk
  • soy milk
2: a liquid resembling milk in appearance: such as a : the latex of a plant b : the contents of an unripe kernel of grain".
- Merriam Websters.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that one. The sap of the rubber plant is called milk, too.

I liked this quote from the NY Times, "And what about other nondairy products with dairy names? Will milk of magnesia, cocoa butter, cream of wheat and peanut butter have to change their names as well?"

I suppose there will be a call for action. Where we should write our Congressman and protest this. but really I think its too stupid to bother with.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/...ms-protest-milk-label-on-nondairy-drinks.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-need-find-alternative-description/795981002/

Reactions: Veganite
All this is, really, is the dairy industry attempting to push back. Seeing as the FDA is in bed with the dairy industry, they have no choice but to fight their battles. If you recall from Cowspiracy, more than half the people sitting on the board have direct ties to the agriculture industry, one way or another.

Do you think they feel threatened? Damn right they do or they wouldn't be so petty in their battles with the non-dairy industry. This makes me smile in a way, cause it shows they're losing and feel threatened enough to whine about it.

Reactions: Lou
I saw somewhere they were making these complaints in the past.

Next the meat industry will be telling veg companies they're not allowed to label certain mock meat products as "burgers".

I still don't see how on earth they feel this is a viable complaint. I suppose they're trying the same stunt as the mayo industry when they sued Just Mayo.

It's still not going to prevent people from consuming plant milks, regardless. And yes, NYT has a good point - will other items like cream of wheat and peanut butter be forbidden to use descriptors that normally are used by the dairy industry?

Reactions: Lou
I saw somewhere they were making these complaints in the past.

Next the meat industry will be telling veg companies they're not allowed to label certain mock meat products as "burgers".

I still don't see how on earth they feel this is a viable complaint. I suppose they're trying the same stunt as the mayo industry when they sued Just Mayo.

It's still not going to prevent people from consuming plant milks, regardless. And yes, NYT has a good point - will other items like cream of wheat and peanut butter be forbidden to use descriptors that normally are used by the dairy industry?

There is a law on the books that any product called Mayonaise has to contain eggs. I don't think it's enforced. I know that I think I have seen "eggless mayonnaise" on supermarket shelves.

I don't think the burger thing can become an issue. The meat industry already produces Turkey Burgers and Salmon Burgers. Oh, maybe they will claim that a burger has to contain meat.

Another interesting thing that may come into play is that Silk, a major player in the Plant Milk Marketplace is owned by a big Multi National that also owns regular milk companies. What kind of memo will they send to the FDA?

This makes me smile in a way, cause it shows they're losing and feel threatened enough to whine about it.

Agreed. Short term it would be bad, forcing an industry wide rebranding...but it's no silver bullet. The more loudly this is resisted the more it has the potential to backfire, drawing attention to how popular and viable plant milks really are as a dairy alternative. Veganism and plant-based eating are on the rise, and the meat and dairy industry big wigs probably have a clearer picture of that than anyone else...that they feel compelled to respond is encouraging.

Reactions: Emma JC
I heard about this on the news... It's so stupid--in my opinion--that dairy farmers would even care. I do think you guys are right that they may be feeling threatened. It seems like non-dairy milks are skyrocketing in popularity. I would definitely buy soy milk if it was called "non-dairy soy beverage" or something, even before I was vegan (when I drank non-dairy milks to reduce animal products in my vegetarian diet). I think most people would just switch over to the new labeling. What would be really awful, I think, would be if they moved the non-dairy milks away from the cow's milk, because then non-vegans would probably forget about it as an option. I am guessing a fair amount of people (?) go to grab some cow's milk and decide to try out soy or almond milk.

If I was a stake holder in a plant milk company the threat of this being enforced would be a big yawn to me. Give the public a little credit for not needing the word "milk" in the product's name to understand it is meant as a replacement for it. Almond "goodness", Cashew "drink", Oat "beverage" - none of it matters if the accompanying picture gives a hint as to it's use (as something someone would eat with cereal, or just on it's own, perhaps a chocolate flavor etc).

Reactions: hopeful
If I was a stake holder in a plant milk company the threat of this being enforced would be a big yawn to me. Give the public a little credit for not needing the word "milk" in the product's name to understand it is meant as a replacement for it. Almond "goodness", Cashew "drink", Oat "beverage" - none of it matters if the accompanying picture gives a hint as to it's use (as something someone would eat with cereal, or just on it's own, perhaps a chocolate flavor etc).

Turning a problem into an opportunity. Make up some really good names and then when challenged they can reply - well you told us we couldn't use "milk". In the examples below change plant for soy or rice or whatever.
Plant Powered Super Drink
Super Powered Plant Drink
Plant beverage of the Gods
Miracle plant juice
Optimum plant liquid

There is a similar situation in the EU. Since 2013 regulations have stated that designations such as milk, butter, cheese cream and yogurt can only be used for marketing and advertising products which are derived from animal milk. There were some exceptions such as peanut butter, cream crackers, ice cream and, somewhat surprisingly, almond milk.

Following the escalating sales of vegan products the law was tested last year in the European Court of Justice. It ruled that customers were being misled.

Misled? What nonsense. Generations have been indoctrinated into believing that dairy products are wonderfully healthy foods but we are all now much more knowledgeable and there is a revolution afoot. People are buying soy milk simply because it has not been anywhere near a cow.

"The law is a hass." Mr Bumble.

Roger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou