First hamburger made from lab-grown meat to be served at press conference

Part of me dislikes this because it gives the idea that "meat is so great it deserves spending £250,000 on". Then again, people are going to eat meat no matter what so a "cruelty free" option can surely be a good thing. There are several positive comments on those sites, mainly omnis who feel guilty but wont give up meat. The articles also talk a lot about the environmental impact of meat, I hope a lot of omnis looking for a wacky article read those bits and take it on board.

and those are my random thoughts

I don't think I could eat it. The gross-out factor for me is high. Also, I've been off meat too long to go back, even it was cruelty-free.

Reactions: Amy SF
That's what I would have thought too, logically lab-grown meat is surely not going to be any healthier than real meat, and I doubt it's more environmentally friendly to eat lab-grown meat than real meat. But an animal doesn't have to die or suffer to produce lab grown meat... in theory, but in reality according to the vegetarian society

Currently 78.90% say NO they wouldn't eat it, 13.87% say MAYBE and 7.24% say YES. Of those who said NO or MAYBE the biggest concern is "It's still harming animals" followed by "It's not natural". The poll is here!

The animal doesn't have to suffer, but this lab meat is still part of an animal. That to me is the gross factor, not the process of it being made in a lab.

Reactions: PTree15
How does an animal not have to suffer if it has to be "fed" with animal blood? Surely that animal blood comes from a killed animal? :confused:

My main objection to this "meat" is that it is still not cruelty-free.

The second is...ewwwwww
Which from a former-meat-lovers-pizza type gal is saying something.

A lot of people say 'I would like to go vegetarian, but I like meat too much'. Those people will have less excuse if the lab meat tastes good enough.....

Finding a new excuse will take very little time though. They are really just saying that to say it. :shrug: