Animal Rights Free turkey for Thanksgiving...

OMG TURKEY MURDERER you are no better than the slaughterhouse workers, you should be shot and then given away free in a promotion to see how it feels!11

But, really... what everyone else said. When I was waitressing I would bring home leftover meat for my mum, the cats and the fox. She bought hardly any meat for that month, and since the chefs bought a set amount each time it didn't increase demand. The only dilemma for me was that I didn't want the stinking carcasses in my bag.

As in the past I've 'earned' a free turkey from my local store as a result of doing all my shopping there. They won't provide me any vegan alternatives... I have to take the turkey or nothing. I've already decided that I will take the turkey and give it to my mom. She's going to buy a turkey whether I give her this one or not.... so at least I'm saving her twenty bucks. Just wondering what the ethical dilemma here is, if any.

Ha, they are being a wee bit forceful in the whole "giving" part, aren't they? "You will take it or else!"

But yeah, I'm with everyone else; I wish they'd give an alternative, but if it can help not increase demand, giving it away is great!

I agree with the others. I don't see a problem with taking it if you knew someone who was going to buy a turkey anyway. Some veg/vegans could argue that by doing this you are encouraging meat-eating and they would be against it, if you want some controversy on this thread.;)

Frankly I think the store should be more willing to accommodate you.

:yes: I would argue the point until they gave me a free bag of vegetables or something instead. :p If that didn't work I probably wouldn't take it as I wouldn't have anyone to give it to as my in-laws get a lot of meat regularly delivered from a farm shop and the only other way I could get rid of it would be to take it home and cook it for my animals and it would depend on how squeamish I felt. Also I think some of the big turkeys look like a toddler wrapped up.

Reactions: thefadedone
Ha, they are being a wee bit forceful in the whole "giving" part, aren't they? "You will take it or else!"
Well they're certainly not forcing me to take the turkey. I always have the option to simply tear the voucher up, which I'm sure they wouldn't mind at all.

Technically, by taking the turkey, you are making their free turkey program look better and encourging them continue doing it.

But personally, I would give it to a soup kitchen, so at least it's helping as many people as possible.

I agree with the others. I don't see a problem with taking it if you knew someone who was going to buy a turkey anyway. Some veg/vegans could argue that by doing this you are encouraging meat-eating and they would be against it, if you want some controversy on this thread.;)

:yes: I would argue the point until they gave me a free bag of vegetables or something instead. :p If that didn't work I probably wouldn't take it as I wouldn't have anyone to give it to as my in-laws get a lot of meat regularly delivered from a farm shop and the only other way I could get rid of it would be to take it home and cook it for my animals and it would depend on how squeamish I felt. Also I think some of the big turkeys look like a toddler wrapped up.
I get freaked out by the wrapped up turkeys, too. A few years ago, I was dropping off some stuff at a soup kitchen, and this tiny old lady came out of the freezer with a giant turkey, and she suddenly dropped it and it skidded across the floor kind of towards me (in my mind anyway). I am a person who startles easily, and anyway, I wound up screaming and grabbing the arm of a stranger. Since I had just told them about being a vegan, I wonder if they now think some vegans are that way because they are terrified of turkeys. :oops:

you're doing exactly what i would do if in the same situation, especially because of your mom.
it's a silver lining moment.

Reactions: ledboots
I'm not afraid of live ones :D, although I haven't seen a farm turkey in person very often. When I lived in Georgia, I saw and heard gobbling of lots of wild turkeys, though. :)

When I was growing up, some friends of my mom's had a small farm. They had a tom turkey that was fine around everyone except one certain family member. Whenever he saw her, he would try to attack - wings flapping and clawing at her. He even knew the sound of her car, and would run to "greet" her if he heard her drive up. She had to park down the street and have someone else drive her the rest of the way, and let her out right at the door.

Reactions: sallyomally
I get freaked out by the wrapped up turkeys, too. A few years ago, I was dropping off some stuff at a soup kitchen, and this tiny old lady came out of the freezer with a giant turkey, and she suddenly dropped it and it skidded across the floor kind of towards me (in my mind anyway). I am a person who startles easily, and anyway, I wound up screaming and grabbing the arm of a stranger. Since I had just told them about being a vegan, I wonder if they now think some vegans are that way because they are terrified of turkeys. :oops:

:D

It was trying to run away towards someone who it knew wouldn't harm him.:D

Actually a similar incident happened during *Thanksgiving last year with my family. My stepfather dropped the turkey, it slid down the counter , then the dog comes flying out of nowhere and immediately pounces on it. :fp:

*It was a Thanksgiving from hell. There were never ending catastrophes.:rolleyes:

It was trying to run away towards someone who it knew wouldn't harm him.:D

Actually a similar incident happened during *Thanksgiving last year with my family. My stepfather dropped the turkey, it slid down the counter , then the dog comes flying out of nowhere and immediately pounces on it. :fp:

*It was a Thanksgiving from hell. There were never ending catastrophes.:rolleyes:

Reactions: thefadedone