Advertisement
  1. We have a moderator position available, click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Gastrointestinal

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rita Segura, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Rita Segura

Rita Segura Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    Newbie here. Just into my 2nd week eating a vegan diet. My digestive system doesn't seem to like beans. I get some gas. Does your body adapt over time? I heard that I should start with smaller beans and work my way up to larger beans like kidney and pinto. It seems like beans are an important ingredient in a vegan diet. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Veganite
    Sunshine

Veganite Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Welcome to the forum, Rita.

The good news is, YES, you should adapt over time. For me I just kept on eating them. I was sort of in denial as to the gas, but eventually it just went away. Mind you, rinsing and cooking them properly helps a lot.

My advice to you would be to build up your tolerance to beans slowly if the gassiness bothers you. I mean by eating more and more each day/week until your body tolerates them better.

I know people that can't consume beans for one reason or another and still manage on a plant-based diet. I'm just glad that I'm not one of them.

I'm not a bean expert by any stretch, but in my own experience, I find canned beans usually gassier.

A few other things to consider:

- Lentils are usually more agreeable of the bean/legumes.
    - If you're going to use canned beans, rinse thoroughly, as it reduces the gas-producing sugars.
    - If you’re cooking beans from scratch, place them in hot water and allow soaking for several hours before cooking. A second soak using fresh water can reduce the offending sugars even further. Discard the soaking water and use fresh water to cook the beans.

3. Rita Segura

Rita Segura Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    This is awesome info. I will give it a try. Thanks so much.

4. amberfunk

amberfunk Active Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 2 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I use dry beans exclusively. I soak overnight in cold water in the fridge and then I boil them for an hour at a rolling boil and then simmer for a few hours. This takes out most of the gassiness.