Gift giving to non vegans?

Jennifer

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi, my question is what do you do in a situation that a friend or family member has requested a specific gift and it contains animal products? I have had troubles trying to work out what to do in these situations as I don't want to contribute to the use of animals, but are they just going to buy that same thing themselves if not received as a gift. It is also similar to my problem about doing the grocery shopping for a non vegan family.
Any advice would be helpful.

Hi Jennifer,

Firstly, does this person/friend/your family know about your veganism?
I don't think it would be too much at all to say 'is there anything else I can get you, only, you know I'm a bit uncomfortable about animal products - there must be something else you might want?'

As for grocery shopping, yes that's hard. Maybe here are they you could buy a substitute but, on the whole, I'd actually say don't fight them. Almost all vegan activists acknowledge that the battle with family is too hard to attempt, and sometimes it really does not go well at all - only the gentle approach is normally successful, at least, one without judgement. But I think you could say 'I'm happy to buy you vegetarian, but please don't ask me to pick up meats', or attempt some form of similar compromise.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Jennifer,

Firstly, does this person/friend/your family know about your veganism?
I don't think it would be too much at all to say 'is there anything else I can get you, only, you know I'm a bit uncomfortable about animal products - there must be something else you might want?'

As for grocery shopping, yes that's hard. Maybe here are they you could buy a substitute but, on the whole, I'd actually say don't fight them. Almost all vegan activists acknowledge that the battle with family is too hard to attempt, and sometimes it really does not go well at all - only the gentle approach is normally successful, at least, one without judgement. But I think you could say 'I'm happy to buy you vegetarian, but please don't ask me to pick up meats', or attempt some form of similar compromise.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi, the gift was for a friend who I phoned and explained the situation at first she didn't really get my point and view but then with some more explanation she was very understanding so I have managed to sort out another gift for her.
I also spoke with my family about the whole situation with the grocery shopping and and they were understanding about the whole situation and are happy with me buying them vegetarian substitutes instead of meats (hopefully this could be a step to help them in realising that they don't need to eat or use animal products)
Thank you for the advice

Reactions: 1 person
It's difficult when you still have to cater for non-vegans. I am the only vegan I know. I cook for my husband and cat. It was my decision to become vegan, I can't expect them to change their lifestyles just because I have. If you talk about it to people in an non-judging, non-preachy way they will be more open to it. I just say, I'm really sorry I cannot eat animal products because of the animals. It's the opposite to eating halal and that seems to be socially acceptable, even though it goes against the humane killing this Country is supposed to uphold. My friends are very good at getting me vegan food and are always apologising for the meat on the table.

Hi, my question is what do you do in a situation that a friend or family member has requested a specific gift and it contains animal products? I have had troubles trying to work out what to do in these situations as I don't want to contribute to the use of animals, but are they just going to buy that same thing themselves if not received as a gift. It is also similar to my problem about doing the grocery shopping for a non vegan family.
Any advice would be helpful.
I would politely explain to them that you are vegan and, as such, do not wish to support the meat, fish, dairy, egg, fur, leather, honey or suede industries. Explain that you would rather either get them a non-food, cruelty-free gift or a vegan food gift. They could have someone else that is not vegan get them any animal product gifts that they would like.
Best of luck.

I've offered to make donations to family members' preferred charity instead of buying physical gifts. The gesture has been well received and appreciated.

People shouldn't ask for very specific gifts unless they're your partner or children....what sort of friend demands a very specific present? I don't feel obligated to buy people particular things and the longer I've been vegan I just don't compromise on certain things.

For example, if your friend likes chocolate, just get vegan chocolate. Bottles of wine are always nice gifts for random friends and acquaintances and dates, and for people who don't drink or eat candy, you can always buy someone a plant, a flower arrangement, or a gift card to a restaurant or store they like. For example, Panera Bread sells vegan food (although they also sell meat) so I wouldn't have a problem buying a Panera Bread gift card, because I have eaten vegan meals there in the past and support restaurants that sell vegan meals even if they aren't completely vegan establishments. Other non-food related gifts include music, taking someone out to an event or movie, taking a trip together (like a get away weekend or a day spa afternoon), or books.

I'm actually glad I only had a boyfriend (who I am no longer with) and not a husband when I became vegan, so I'll never have to deal with grocery shopping or cooking for an omni. If it was mom or something, and I was taking care of her, well she'd just have to eat vegan food. Good thing she already drinks soy and almond-coconut milk, and likes things like beans and veggie burgers or she'd just have to deal.

If I had a child, they would be vegan.