Going out to eat

Sho

Newcomer
Reaction score
obviously it’s easy enough to find something vegan to eat or at least vegetarian but what about cross contamination? Like French fries cooked in the same oil as chicken? Do you ask the people at every restaurant how it was prepared? Like if I go to Red Robin and eat a veggie burger (it can be made vegan) there is no way it’s going to be made on a special grill.

I think it's up to each vegan to decide for himself.
Me? I don't worry about it. I don't think small amounts of animal products can affect me biologically or ethically.

However, it does come into my decision-making process. I might skip the patty and get the pasta or salad just for that reason. Or get something made in a pan instead of on a grill. But cross-contamination concerns didn't stop me from trying the Impossible Burger when it first came out.

Some vegans refuse to eat in most restaurants due to fears of cross contamination as well as the intention to protest a business that serves flesh.

For others, especially students, people who are rarely home or just don't know how to cook, this can be impractical so they compromise by eating vegan or vegetarian food which may have been fried in oil or cooked on a grill with animal products.

Still others frankly believe in capitalism and intentionally eat in omni restaurants to promote sales of plant based foods or products.

This is really a market question. Are you poor or a student? Are you a peaceful anarchist? A silent dissenter? A capitalist?

Reactions: Lou