Advertisement

Growing your own food

Discussion in 'Food' started by Genuine Mathias, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Genuine Mathias
    Balanced

Genuine Mathias Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    If you could grow your own food (climate would not be a factor), what would you consider staples in your garden that would be served every day?

2. Veganite
    Balanced

Veganite Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +549 / 1 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I have my own garden, and with a very suitable climate to grow a large variety of things. The truth is I grow far too many things to name them all. Right now I am dealing with several fruit trees on my property. I have a heck of a lot of prune plums this year. I'm making apple/pear butter tomorrow. I already dehydrated over 20 lbs of plums into prunes. They're like candy, and keep very well for a long time.

My staples, aside from the fruit trees on my property, are potatoes, onions, garlic, beans, peas, cucumbers, carrots, kale, and squash, just to name a few, and I grow most of my own herbs as well. I also have a Bay Laurel bush. My kale often grows well into winter here. I also have a greenhouse that works through the winter months.

I love gardening, but I still consider myself somewhat of a novice. I am always learning, but I still make lots of mistakes. I tried growing melons this year, which was a complete fail. However, they do grow locally on some farms, so I wanted to try this year. I have bought local melons before here, and they're awesome. I've also had bad luck with corn. However, some of the tastiest corn I've ever eaten in my life grows just a few kilometers down the road.

I use many things daily or almost daily. Having your own herbs on hand is a wonderful staple. I will be planting next years garlic very soon. Garlic and onions are something I consider a huge staple. A lot of the fruit I either preserve or dehydrate. I picked a couple gallons of blackberries from my backyard this year too. I make pickles as well.

You can do herbs on an apartment balcony...tomatoes too. I have a friend that grows beautiful tomatoes on her balcony.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Genuine Mathias
    Balanced

Genuine Mathias Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Where are you located?

4. Veganite
    Balanced

Ratings:
    +549 / 1 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I'm in Vancouver, BC.

5. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    It's all a lie! He is from the planet Vega! AS ARE WE ALL!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Veganite
    Balanced

Ratings:
    +549 / 1 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Well, to be honest, most people know the place as the Cascadia Subduction Zone. I like Vega better. It's probably safer too ;)

7. Emma JC
    Joyful

Emma JC Active Member

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Potatoes, tomatoes, basil, hot peppers, bell peppers, sweet peas, beans, lettuce, spinach. Strawberries, raspberries, lemons.

Emma JC

8. hopeful
    Creative

hopeful Active Member

Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, apples, bananas, strawberries, watermelon, and mangos.

9. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Keeping an eye on this thread. Atm, I'm already growing potatoes, lettuce. I'm not sure what I want to grow this year, or at least start to grow. One thought was an acai palm...then I saw how big they were (perhaps a mini version that will yield fruit?), but researching root veggies besides potato, so far Malanga and Maca have hit my radar. Probably garlic, which I use quite often.

10. Emma JC
    Joyful

Emma JC Active Member

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    mmmm garlic.... how did I forget garlic.... it also grows wild.... it would actually be at the top of my grow it yourself list!!

Emma JC