Advertisement

Growing your own veg

Discussion in 'Food' started by Lesley, May 22, 2018.

1. Lesley

Lesley Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    I've just taken over an allotment plot to grow my own veg and a couple of fruit trees, I live in Scotland so there's plenty of rain:)
    Just wondering if any one else has taken on a project like this. I'm doing plenty of research, however it tends to differ depending on the site.
    Any advice and tips for a novice are much appreciated.

2. alleycat

alleycat Active Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Hi Lesley, the best advice I can give you is to get to know other gardeners in your area. Look at other gardens / allotments near you to get an idea of what will grow. Look for local gardening groups too. What do your neighbouring allotments use in their garden, do they garden organically, do they use weedkillers or pesticides ? You will get lots of conflicting advice so listen to everyone but then decide what you want. If it doesn't work then it's a lesson learned and move on to an alternative.

I live in a warm climate so really have no idea about your climate. But I like my garden a bit wild, I don't dig my soil just raise the beds with layers of hay, compost, mulched up wood. Even old cotton clothes, sheets, etc get used as well. I don't pull out old plants , just cut them off close to the ground, toss a few seeds there cover with a scatter of compost.

• Like Like x 1
  3. alleycat

alleycat Active Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Keeping a diary of what you do is helpful too, what worked, what didn't. Take photos of insects you are not sure of and look them up to see if they are helpful or a pest. If they are a pest attracting natural predator for them, or planting companion plants to deter them can be useful.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lesley

Lesley Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    Thanks for the replies. I've made a plan of what veg to plant and what flowers to grow to attract beneficial insects.
    My allotment neighbours seem really friendly so I hope to get some good advice.
    I like the idea of not pulling up old plants and a great idea about taking photos of insects.

5. Jane Black

Jane Black Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I think such climate is good for apple trees. Speaking about vegetables, maybe it would be better to build a greenhouse in order to protect them from an excessive water.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jinendra Singh
    Balanced

Jinendra Singh Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    what will y say for
    Would you continue to be vegan if you had to grow vegetables you wanted to eat? Why for other

7. Whot

Whot New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    Currently, I grow tomatoes. I still have experience from my youth when I was growing other plants ^^
    I eat mostly tomatoes from the store, because my balcony is too small.