Handbag/shoulder bag

kevnaff

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I am hoping to buy my Vegan girlfriend a shoulder bag or handbag for her birthday. Ideally I am looking for something that is big enough to fit a medium sized laptop, and that is quite fancy.

Could anybody recommend any vegan brands?

I'm hoping to spend up to £70 so please take this in to consideration.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Shoulder bags are actually pretty easy to buy for vegans without even going to special brands. Lots of mainstream companies make synthetic bags.

There is one issue that may need to explored a little bit. Some apparel/ accessories will use small amounts of leather. Maybe as an accent or in a handle or a strap. Some vegans accept that. When I first became vegan there were very few vegan apparel companies. There were plenty of companies that only used small amounts of leather. You can find "almost vegan" bags at Eddie Bauer. Both my 30-year-old briefcase and my 20-year-old backpack are EB and only use small amounts of leather. But maybe today you don't need to compromise.

The first place I would look is at Patagonia. Not all their stuff is vegan. But its an ethical/responsible company and I feel good buying their products. I just checked and they have some nice bags. Not very fashionable but good functional bags.

Also, now that we are totally in the age of online shopping don't forget to check Amazon. They even have a vegan "marketplace". Just go on Amazon and search "vegan bags". Etsy is also a good place to shop.

Another good tool is Pinterest. You can probably pick out something you like with the pictures.

Just a couple of final thoughts. I wouldn't want anyone to buy me a bag. My requirements and tastes are very specific. Plus a bag can last for 10 maybe even 30 years. So you really want one you like.

Also, I once went on to a mall with my sister to shop for a bag. 4 hours and 40 stores later she finally found the "perfect" bag. I didn't say anything - but we saw that same bag in the first store. So, just saying.

Reactions: Frederic Lavender
Doshi
the super stylish and sophisticated vegan backpacks from Doshi are not only cruelty-free but better looking too, crafted with ample attention to detail. Designed for durability and versatility, the Pro Sport backpack is made from high-quality microfiber leather and heavy-duty nylon that will withstand wear and tear. It has adjustable straps and ample padding so it'll feel comfortable, no matter how much you carry. The several handy utility pockets make organizing easy, and the capacious interior make it idle for bustling commutes and long-haul travel alike.
  • Crafted from eco-friendly microfiber-based vegan leather and heavy-duty nylon shell
  • Padded and ventilated back
  • Multiple exterior and interior pockets for storage
  • Comes with a separate laptop sleeve

Reactions: Lou
Shoulder bags are actually pretty easy to buy for vegans without even going to special brands. Lots of mainstream companies make synthetic bags.

There is one issue that may need to explored a little bit. Some apparel/ accessories will use small amounts of leather. Maybe as an accent or in a handle or a strap. Some vegans accept that. When I first became vegan there were very few vegan apparel companies. There were plenty of companies that only used small amounts of leather. You can find "almost vegan" bags at Eddie Bauer. Both my 30-year-old briefcase and my 20-year-old backpack are EB and only use small amounts of leather. But maybe today you don't need to compromise.

The first place I would look is at Patagonia. Not all their stuff is vegan. But its an ethical/responsible company and I feel good buying their products. I just checked and they have some nice bags. Not very fashionable but good functional bags.

Also, now that we are totally in the age of online shopping don't forget to check Amazon. They even have a vegan "marketplace". Just go on Amazon and search "vegan bags". Etsy is also a good place to shop.

Another good tool is Pinterest. You can probably pick out something you like with the pictures.

Just a couple of final thoughts. I wouldn't want anyone to buy me a bag. My requirements and tastes are very specific. Plus a bag can last for 10 maybe even 30 years. So you really want one you like.

Also, I once went on to a mall with my sister to shop for a bag. 4 hours and 40 stores later she finally found the "perfect" bag. I didn't say anything - but we saw that same bag in the first store. So, just saying.

That is great advice and one thing to watch out for with all brands is whether they use vegan glue or not :)

I am hoping to buy my Vegan girlfriend a shoulder bag or handbag for her birthday. Ideally I am looking for something that is big enough to fit a medium sized laptop, and that is quite fancy.

Could anybody recommend any vegan brands?

I'm hoping to spend up to £70 so please take this in to consideration.

Thanks for any help in advance.

I have purchased my wife a vegan bag from the website, you can narrow your search at the top. Maybe look at the shopper bags or tote bags or the shoulder bags to fit a laptop - https://veenofs.com/collections/womens-bags

Good luck in your search.

Good point.
Finding a bag that has no glue from animal products, and no leather trim, and not made by slave labor is much harder. And will probably more than double the price.
So true about price! That's why when I bought my wife a bag from the link above, I checked to see if they were ethically made (which they are) and it explained why they are a little pricey. If you buy from highstreet, they will be made in sweatshops and the volume suggests the cheap price on the highstreet market :(

How about this?

I love that--but it looks like other vegan purses I've had where they crack and expose cloth, and often sharp edges.
My last one was by Carlos Santana, and while I got a good deal it had a higher retail price. The straps are the worst for cracking! I wish they'd just use cloth!
You know what I like and never see? Oiled canvas. My son had some Converse style high tops that were oiled canvas and they were really tough, and waterproof

I love that--but it looks like other vegan purses I've had where they crack and expose cloth, and often sharp edges.
My last one was by Carlos Santana, and while I got a good deal it had a higher retail price. The straps are the worst for cracking! I wish they'd just use cloth!
You know what I like and never see? Oiled canvas. My son had some Converse style high tops that were oiled canvas and they were really tough, and waterproof

Back when I used to go to the movies and out to dinner I really wanted to get a small man-purse that was larger enough to hold a few things plus a hardcover book. (I would go out to dinner and to the movies and would like to have a book with me to read. but now with libraries, restaurants and movie theatres closed - this is no longer a pressing concern).

Anyway, this one is at the top of my list