Health, environment & animals - why are you vegan?

... the closer people come to the meat production ... the less motivated they become to actually eat meat.

Some years ago, in my village pub, two of the regulars were local farmers. One raised pigs and the other raised cattle. The pig farmer enjoyed beef but couldn’t stomach pork. The cattle farmer enjoyed pork but couldn’t stomach beef.

Perhaps a better name for that pub might have been “The Half Way House”.

Roger.

Originally I "went pescatarian" (I still hate that label - and this was 28 yrs ago) because I didn't like how eating (land) animals tasted & made me feel, but primarily for health reasons, as I watched my father die a slow death from the std american farmer's diet. The ethics of going vegan didn't creep up on me for a long time, but had been for almost 5 yrs, starting with the film Earthlings & FOK. The film What The Health was the nudge I needed to finally ditch the fish, eggs, & cheese, but I am both vegan and WFPB, so my reasons are all them equally. Being honest, I don't know how one can dismiss the health aspects of a WFPB diet as though our health doesn't matter, what with all of the diet-preventable diseases surrounding us, or the environmental factors of choosing a plant-based diet. What good are we for our cause if we're sick or dead, and destroying the planet is harmful to all life, humans and animals included. The three are inseparably intertwined, IMO.

EDIT: We can only post 5x per day?? Or is that only a restriction for newbies?? :/

Last edited:
What good are we for our cause if we're sick or dead,

Good point. but I was vegan for 8 years before I even learned that eating a vegan diet could be healthy. I knew it wasn't killing me. but I was not under the impression it was the best diet. For me, it was totally about ethics. the environment was in second place (and not a close second).

A few years ago someone lent me a DVD of Forks Over Knives. Then I read the book, and then Eat To Live. This summer I read How Not To Die. I still haven't totally transformed to a WFPB diet. but I'm trying. but for me, it's just a diet.

I should be more clear

WFPB is just a diet. WFPB is compatible with veganism. A vegan can still be a vegan and not eat WFPB.

Does that help?

Yes, that makes much more sense now. Thank you. However, I might call it a magic pill as well as "just a diet". It would appear to be able to not only prevent, but reverse some pretty serious diseases. That's pretty close to a magic pill, wouldn't you say?

Reactions: Emma JC
Yes, that makes much more sense now. Thank you. However, I might call it a magic pill as well as "just a diet". It would appear to be able to not only prevent, but reverse some pretty serious diseases. That's pretty close to a magic pill, wouldn't you say?

Nope.

Oh, sure the results are pretty magic pill like. but I think the magic pill connotes an ease of use. Like here, just take this pill.

If you are not already vegan, the WFPB diet is incredibly restrictive and probably requires a whole new lifestyle. Vegetarians would probably find it hard (What?! No cheese?!) Even if you are vegan it's pretty challenging. I think eliminating potato chips from my diet was really good for me but it was pretty hard. I also found the reducing of grains to be challenging. Oil free cooking was the least troublesome for me.

Then there is exercise. I'm not sure if it is part of the FOK diet. But it was included in both the books I read. Both books included a lot more exercise than I had been doing. I was already exercising regularly. I think it was Gregar that recommended double the exercise that the AHA does. For most people - that is pretty challenging.

The magic pill was also in reference to the Netflix movie of the same name, that sadly promotes a non-vegan keto diet. But if a diet can prevent, and in most cases cure the worst chronic diseases, that to me is the real magic pill, hands down!

I think living the WFPBD as strictly as Esselstyn would have you do it, would be difficult. Personally, I believe in the diet, and try to follow it, but for me, living a little is important. So I make occasional exceptions for oil, and the odd processed vegan fare. I also like going out to the odd vegan restaurant, occasionally. That said, at home I rarely make exceptions. I also don't keep any oil in my house. My heart is the priority, but living a life you enjoy is also in the balance.

Reactions: Emma JC
The magic pill was also in reference to the Netflix movie of the same name, that sadly promotes a non-vegan keto diet. But if a diet can prevent, and in most cases cure the worst chronic diseases, that to me is the real magic pill, hands down!

I think living the WFPBD as strictly as Esselstyn would have you do it, would be difficult. Personally, I believe in the diet, and try to follow it, but for me, living a little is important. So I make occasional exceptions for oil, and the odd processed vegan fare. I also like going out to the odd vegan restaurant, occasionally. That said, at home I rarely make exceptions. I also don't keep any oil in my house. My heart is the priority, but living a life you enjoy is also in the balance.

Oh. Ok. I did not know about the movie.

but I also make occasional exceptions. Maybe a touch more often than occasional. I do have oil in the house. I use them sparingly. and got some spritzers.

hey Lou

I rarely disagree with anything you post but I do disagree completely with your statement that WFPB is restrictive and difficult. It is so simple and inexpensive... starches, greens, fruits and veggies, beans, nuts etc.

I like being a starchivore as I have always loved my potatoes and pastas and breads so adding all the other veggies and beans etc to my starches and then spicing them up is simple and easy. We do have some Gardien and some tempeh, on occasion and that is basically as a supplement to the meal not the main part. Last night I did potatoes and carrots and parsnip in the Instant Pot (13 minutes) (just scrubbed and placed in whole) and did a pack of Gardein turkey rolls (2 - 1 each) and that took 1/2 hour in the oven. Simple, amazingly tasty and filling.

There are many YouTubers that show their WFPB lifestyle and I think the "Well Your World" is probably the simplest and most direct about this way of eating. If you have a few moments to watch him, you might start to think differently.

Keep up your great postings please!!

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
yes, she is - for some unknown reason I am not as comfortable with her videos as I am with some others - her cooking is great! and I believe she uses the Instant Pot a lot as well - I prefer videos that are 15 minutes or less :confused:

Emma JC

Reactions: TofuRobot
I am both vegan and WFPB, so my reasons are all them equally. Being honest, I don't know how one can dismiss the health aspects of a WFPB diet as though our health doesn't matter, what with all of the diet-preventable diseases surrounding us, or the environmental factors of choosing a plant-based diet. What good are we for our cause if we're sick or dead, and destroying the planet is harmful to all life, humans and animals included. The three are inseparably intertwined, IMO.

These things are all connected, the way I see it. It is just with veganism being good for a normal, and there aren't such good reasons not to be. To remain not being vegan, you have to dismiss abusive treatment and horrible slaughter of the animals, the issues of the environments from animal agriculture, that there is still the healthier way for us, water, land, and other resources that are taken up, and that more food could be grown that would save people who are dying of starvation.

Those choosing unhealthy veganism because they are vegan for animals don't make good sense, and it is hardly reasonable, when we could have better example to others who are not vegan now. Those coming to poor health after becoming vegan will be the poorest example, and won't help animals as much that way. And some who say they were vegan, though I don't think they lived according to veganism, and gave it up, say they became so unhealthy from going vegan. I am vegan for animals, though I see the other reasons for being vegan are each reasons in themselves. I choose the healthiest way I see I can. But they are together, that veganism is the right way for people to live. Most people are just not coming to it yet, it is still needed that they do so soon. There would be no negative side for them doing so.

I might call it a magic pill as well as "just a diet". It would appear to be able to not only prevent, but reverse some pretty serious diseases. That's pretty close to a magic pill, wouldn't you say?

I get the meaning of using that expression, and saw the doctors who authored The Forks Over Knives Plan use that expression. They said if what resulted from the way of eating they showed, with B12 supplementation, all healthy effects with no negative effect, came in the form of a pill to be taking, it would be heralded wide and far in the news. It isn't as the diet it is, involving change, and medication businesses won't want that to change.

I think the magic pill connotes an ease of use. Like here, just take this pill.
If you are not already vegan, the WFPB diet is incredibly restrictive and probably requires a whole new lifestyle. Vegetarians would probably find it hard (What?! No cheese?!) Even if you are vegan it's pretty challenging. I think eliminating potato chips from my diet was really good for me but it was pretty hard. I also found the reducing of grains to be challenging. Oil free cooking was the least troublesome for me.
Then there is exercise. For most people - that is pretty challenging.

It is not hard, but I see how a transition to it is needed. The book mentioned really provides for that. I had already seen need and chose to go vegan. At first I didn't even have assurance that it would be as healthy. I have always been thin too, and didn't want to lose weight. But at this point it really was for the animals. After some time I found that book, and it was revolutionary for me. I saw how I could be the healthiest from that. Shortly afterward, within days, I had a diagnosis showing serious issue to my health. I really needed to have the healthiest way, and know about it, then.

I use grains, it is with most of that being whole grain, now.

I am afraid of having much exercise as it can have an issue to my health, though. I have to settle with the healthy way of eating being all I have for my health. But I still walk much, and the way I do is good for health, with the exercise I have from that.

It is not hard, but I see how a transition to it is needed.

I think it would be fair to say that transition is needed for some and not for others. For example, one person might use up all the non-vegan items in their house before committing to a vegan lifestyle. Where others might throw out all the non-vegan foods right off the start. Starting a WFPBD wouldn't be much different. You are simply making a commitment. That's simple for some and not for others.

Also, consider that foods can have addictive properties, with some being physical and some psychological. Some people eat when they're depressed. Others eat when they are bored. Some people overeat, and other might under eat. There's many eating disorders, even with vegans.

So starting a WFPBD may very well be the right thing to do, but it can be easier said than done for some folks. Not everyone can have doctor Esselstyn kicking their butts for encouragement. No OIL!

Myself, I'm vegan for many reasons now, but initially it was all about my health. The journey has educated me all about the ethical and environmental aspects of the lifestyle. I'm pretty much all onboard these days, with maybe the exception of activism. Heck, if there's a good protest down the road, I'd probably go, but that's about the extent of it.

Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
I think it would be fair to say that transition is needed for some and not for others. For example, one person might use up all the non-vegan items in their house before committing to a vegan lifestyle. Where others might throw out all the non-vegan foods right off the start. Starting a WFPBD wouldn't be much different. You are simply making a commitment. That's simple for some and not for others.

Also, consider that foods can have addictive properties, with some being physical and some psychological. Some people eat when they're depressed. Others eat when they are bored. Some people overeat, and other might under eat. There's many eating disorders, even with vegans.

So starting a WFPBD may very well be the right thing to do, but it can be easier said than done for some folks. Not everyone can have doctor Esselstyn kicking their butts for encouragement. No OIL!

Myself, I'm vegan for many reasons now, but initially it was all about my health. The journey has educated me all about the ethical and environmental aspects of the lifestyle. I'm pretty much all onboard these days, with maybe the exception of activism. Heck, if there's a good protest down the road, I'd probably go, but that's about the extent of it.

The book I mentioned, The Forks Over Knives Plan, does not assume you the reader are vegan already. It is a plan for transitioning put forward, about four weeks, but allowing for a transition to go longer, or shorter. I was vegan already, though I became more committed with this. Vegans shouldn't take as long as the nonvegans taking longer. The book aims for you having the meals you like most in the end of the transition, to stick with successfully. It is not as hard as it seems it will be, certainly not with all the available help. There are addictions to overcome to have healthier things that can be preferred.

I gave up oil with this, for a year. I learned the amount of oil we benefit from is already in whole plant-based food. I went back to hemp oil, that I learned is needed to help my own health issue I learned I had from the diagnosis.

Last edited: