Heinz 5 Beanz

I tried it once and didn't like it as I'm so used to the taste of normal baked beans.

I tried it once and didn't like it as I'm so used to the taste of normal baked beans.

Can you describe what you didn't like about the taste ? I have bought a tin of mixed beans in Canada and thought that you couldn't actually taste the different bean variety. A bit like soup ?

I think it was either the taste of the pinto or borlotti beans that I didn't care for. I don't usually buy or eat those types of beans normally. They are probably worth a try if you like all types of beans.:)

I think it was either the taste of the pinto or borlotti beans that I didn't care for. I don't usually buy or eat those types of beans normally. They are probably worth a try if you like all types of beans.:)

That makes sense. Barlotti/pinto beans are my absolute favourite and I can't find them overhere.

I really like them. I tend to buy reduced sugar+salt beans though so dont get them a lot. they do taste different to normal beans but in a good way.

Tell you what I miss, the heinz "hidden veg" range. It was beans but theyd somehow crammed veg into the sauce and it tasted really nice.

I like the idea... but I buy sainsburys beans as they're cheaper. Sometimes I mix other beans in with them though, if I have beans that need using up. Kinda the same deal.

I guess most/some people (i.e. non vegetarians) don't really eat any beans that aren't baked beans. Seems crazy, but if I think, I don't think my omni family ever eat beans except baked beans. So baked beans having more variety might open people up to new beans.

I guess most/some people (i.e. non vegetarians) don't really eat any beans that aren't baked beans. Seems crazy, but if I think, I don't think my omni family ever eat beans except baked beans. So baked beans having more variety might open people up to new beans.

It seems weird now but I didn't really eat beans or lentils on a daily or weekly basis until a few years ago. :D

I think the speckled type of beans remind me of eggs and it make me dislike them.:confused:

I like the idea... but I buy sainsburys beans as they're cheaper. Sometimes I mix other beans in with them though, if I have beans that need using up. Kinda the same deal.

Everyone that I know has a stack of baked beans in their cupboard. I'm sure that most people don't know that you can eat them in any other way. :(

I prefer to buy beans without added sugar and make my own sauce or dish. I dislike the sweet starchy tomato sauce that commercial brands do.

Before I went vegetarian... I'm not sure I ate beans that weren't the baked beans variety. I like beans in a homemade dish, but there's something wonderful and nostalgic about baked beans.

The baked beans in the US are usually in a sweet sauce, kind of molasses tasting. I tried the UK Heinz beans in tomato sauce once, on toast, and I really liked them. They are expensive here though, an imported delicacy.

For the sweet baked beans (sometimes called Boston baked beans), Bush's makes some flavored ones called Grillin' Beans that are really good. There are about 6 flavors, and some are vegan, some have pork. Oddly, the Steakhouse Recipe is one of the vegan types, who knows what people are thinking.

ETA I usually add a can (or some cooked from my freezer) of unflavored no salt beans because the flavor is a little strong, plus it is cheaper. :)
se3usahu.jpg

I love the Heinz vegetarian beans, but they are kind of expensive so I rarely get them.

00013000451604_full.jpg

Last edited:
The baked beans in the US are usually in a sweet sauce, kind of molasses tasting. I tried the UK Heinz beans in tomato sauce once, on toast, and I really liked them. They are expensive here though, an imported delicacy.

For the sweet baked beans (sometimes called Boston baked beans), Bush's makes some flavored ones called Grillin' Beans that are really good. There are about 6 flavors, and some are vegan, some have pork. Oddly, the Steakhouse Recipe is one of the vegan types, who knows what people are thinking.

ETA I usually add a can (or some cooked from my freezer) of unflavored no salt beans because the flavor is a little strong, plus it is cheaper. :)
se3usahu.jpg

I've not seen that one, will have to look. The only vegan ones I found were the Southern Pit BBQ which are great. Bush's regular vegetarian baked beans are good too. I like them better than Heinz. Heinz has the market cornered on ketchup though. :p