Hello everyone!

Girly

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a french Canadian transitionning to the vegan diet, I'm not fully vegan right now but I'm slowly reducing my meat portions, eating more tofu, legumes and other vegan substitute for meat. It has been now 3 months since I've drink cow milk (I'm drinking soy milk now). I really love animals and that is why I want to go vegan, but I'm scared about not getting enough protein. I think the only things that will be hard for me to give up are fish, seafood and cheese (I've tried vegan gouda and I liked it but I'm searching for a vegan brie and I haven't found any). If you have ideas for me for the seafood, fish or cheese replacement I'll be more then happy to hear them!

There is protein in soy milk, soy, beans, lentils, quinoa, grains, rice, even veggies have protein, etc. Trust me you will have no issue with getting enough protein. I like daiya's block cheese so far and go veggie's grated parmesan. I haven't had the chance to try much of other vegan cheeses since they are expensive and I honestly don't miss cheese that much and I used to love all types of cheese as one of my favorite foods.

There are vegan fish substitutes. I've tried gardein's fishless tenders and they are amazing. Maywah makes vegan shrimp balls among other things however I can only find them online through their website. Sophie's kitchen also has vegan fish and are sold in some stores.

Congrats for transitioning! I'm new to veganism as well, but I hear you regarding the cheese issue: as a previous long-term vegetarian I did indeed love cheese, though I was careful even then to check the ingredients for rennet.

I did find an article here showcasing various vegan cheeses with links to their recipes: vegan brie included. (Does make one hungry looking at them all, lol!) I suppose an extra advantage of having the know-how to make one's own cheese, and anything else for that matter, is being able to control what goes in and not having to worry as much over preservatives, etc... I really need to learn how to cook!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/leonoraeps...ut-the-real-th?utm_term=.xkV8VdwYm#.nsXork3RG

Good luck with your diet. :)

Legumes are fairly high in protein and most foods have at least some protein, you do not need to worry.

Violife is the best vegan cheese I've tried, I'm not sure if it is available in your country.

Thank you so much everyone! I'll check for all the suggestions you said and I'm happy to try new things!!! Thank you!!! :)

Girly, new evidence says we don't need as much protein as we think; not the 1g per kg of bodyweight or similar rules of thumb you may have heard.
Unless you're a body builder or the like, a woman needs only about 50g per day and a man 60g.