Advertisement
  1. We have a moderator position available, click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Help! milk advice needed

Discussion in 'Transitioning' started by Sara D, May 30, 2018.

1. Sara D

Sara D New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am just in the process of moving to a vegan diet. I can live without cheese and eggs; soya yoghurt and ice cream are ok; but I can't find a palatable milk substitute. I've tried soya, oat and cashew but can't manage and make me feel nauseous. I usually get through quite a lot of milk in porridge, on cereal and in tea & coffee.

Can anyone recommend milk alternatives? Are some brands better than others? And what about enviromental and health issues?

Any suggestions really appreciated.

2. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Hi Sara, welcome to the forum :)

Do you like Tahini (sesame seed butter)? If you have a blender and a little Tahini you can make it quick and easy. Just add a desired amount of Tahini and enough water to cover, blend, add more water (amount depends on how concentrated you want) and blend again. Adding a little sweetness (Tahini is slightly bitter) is as easy as adding some natural fruit juice (or what I often do, date syrup).

Btw, Tahini (the un-hulled kind) is loaded with Calcium.

3. amberfunk

amberfunk Active Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 2 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    We usually drink almond milk. It's thin like cow skim milk. I'm guessing it would probably be the closest to cow milk. Not sure what country you are in but I usually buy mine at aldis. Silk brand is also good but it's a little thicker. Have you tried coconut milk? It does have a coconut taste to it if you like coconut. There's also rice and hemp milk. Rice milk is a little sweet and I haven't had hemp milk in a long time so I couldn't give you an opinion on that.