Help simplifying diet planning

Oli Jones

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi all,
I was wondering if its ok for me to make one shake every day using a liquidiser which contains everything I need to survive healthily as a vegan? i.e. calcium, vitamins, iron, etc.

the reason I want to do this is because time is limited and I often have little choice at work with what I eat.. so I might end up eating a nutritionally useless lettuce salad each day.

If I didn't have to worry about the content (nutritional values) of anything else I eat within the confines of vegan diet..because ive already had my shake which covered it all.. then anything else I eat would just be an added bonus without me having to consider whether it contains the right nutrition.

after some research, I think I need to include the following in my shake:

calcium- dried fruit
Vitamin D - fortified breakfast cereal
Iron - broccoli and nuts
Vitamin B12 - fortified breakfast cereal
Omega3 - walnuts
protein - lentils?
carbohdrates - I like bread but i'd like to be able to include carbs in my shake if I need them

Is this something I can do and stay healthy? and if so, what else do I need to include?

Hey. Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like a pretty nutritious shake to me. Were you making these kind of shakes before you become vegan?

There's a huge misconception that people transitioning think that they need to supplement everything or they'll become ill or die. As far as I'm aware the only vitamin you can't source from a plant is vitamin b12 which is basically dirt. As long as you take b12 and eat different kinds of fruit/vegetables you'll be fine. I have been vegan for 2 years now, I have only supplemented B12 and vitamin D because of the weather.

Completely understand wanting to make sure you receive enough of everything though.

hi thanks! so sorry for slow response.
you're absolutely right, i didn't make a shake like that before I went vegan so why would i need it now! I'm sure I was deficient in all these areas before I went vegan but changing my diet has actually made me consider what I'm eating for the first time.
I think the whole B12 thing put the fear in me.. but I'm getting on with things very happily, supplementing B12 with a daily pill and also fortified cereals.
I have read on the adaptt site that B12 supplement/fortification isnt necessary because the body produces it naturally - what do you reckon?

No worries! Sorry for my slow response, ha!

I have read on the adaptt site that B12 supplement/fortification isnt necessary because the body produces it naturally - what do you reckon?

Are you sure they mean B12? Vitamin B12 is basically dirt, read this.

Reactions: T J