Help with seasoning red beans and rice

Wolfie

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I found a simple, quick recipe for red beans and rice in the crock pot. However, I would like to change the seasoning up a bit but not sure what to do.

The recipe calls for 1 Tbsp of smoked paprika, which after paying $7 for I am not too fond of. I know the idea is to replace the smoky sausage taste that's obviosuly not in vegan red beans and rice but I don't like it. It's too sausage-like for my taste. Could it be replaced with regular paprika?

It also calls for 8 cloves of garlic and 1 to 2 Tbsp of cajun or creole seasoning. I found creole seasoning at the store and I like that fine.

I'd like to add some heat, not so much it burns your lips but just some flavor. I've seen recipes that call for tobasco or cayenne pepper but have no idea how much to add.

Any help from some of the great VV cooks would be appreciated. I have made this twice and don't want to try a third time just to throw it out again. The first time I made it I had a cold so figured I didn't like it because my taste was off, but I made it again yesterday and just do not like the smoked paprika. At least I think that's what I don't like about it. :p

Anyway I have found other veg recipes but this is the only one where you throw beans, rice and everything into the crock pot and ignore it, which is what I want since I'm short on time most days.

It could be replaced with regular paprika. A tablespoon is a lot, though, unless it's a really big pot of beans and rice. Why not start with less, and taste it before you add more? I generally finish spicing my dishes near the end of their cooking time anyway, so that I can take tastes as I play with the flavors.

If you want to get a smokey taste w/o a lot of paprika, you can add a bit of liquid smoke, but be very careful with it, and add just a drop or two at a time.

I like a smokey, ham-like flavor sometimes in beans, and I add fake bacon bits to get that taste. But if the paprika is too sausage like for you, you probably don't want a ham-like taste either.

Reactions: Tom L.
It is a rather big pot. 2 cups of dry beans (soaked), 1 cup of rice and 4 cups of water and it fills the crock pot.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try it again with regular paprika, a bit of cayenne and maybe use broth instead of water.

Just not a fan of any "pork" flavor. Long story but there's a reason for it. :p I didn't really know what the smoked paprika would be like. The recipe just recommended it over regular paprika. Wishing I wouldn't have spent $7 on it now.

I didn't really know what the smoked paprika would be like. The recipe just recommended it over regular paprika. Wishing I wouldn't have spent $7 on it now.

I had no idea smoked paprika tastes like pork either! I always see it in recipes, but I've just used regular paprika instead because smoked is so expensive. I'm intrigued by the smoked now though.

I agree with MLP about the liquid smoke. It's like magic in a bottle. It adds a wonderful smokiness to any recipe.

Was the original recipe for a crockpot? If not, then you have to decrease seasonings because they taste way stronger in the crock pot.

I use a bay leaf, thyme and oregano, (powdered) red pepper, a little liquid smoke, and I do like chopped onion and a little garlic if I have time. I hate sausagey tastes too. :)

Damn, I just bought a jar of smoked paprika to use in a recipe. I'm not a huge fan of pork flavors, either.

Oh well, hopefully it isn't too bad.

Was the original recipe for a crockpot? If not, then you have to decrease seasonings because they taste way stronger in the crock pot.

I use a bay leaf, thyme and oregano, (powdered) red pepper, a little liquid smoke, and I do like chopped onion and a little garlic if I have time. I hate sausagey tastes too. :)

Yes it was for a crockpot. My favorite way to cook! :p

Maybe I just used too much though it's what the recipe said. It definitely reminds me of sausage flavor though but maybe I'm just odd. :p

I think I have some liquid smoke but it's probably well past the expiration date.

Reactions: ledboots
The way to remind me of sausage flavor is to add anise seeds to something. We ate a lot of Italian sausage when I was little, and it always had anise seeds in it.

I often use smoked paprika in things. But I usually put in only a quarter of a teaspoon, and add in pinches until flavour is desirable, usually does not mean more than one half of a teaspoon. One tablespoon of smoky paprika in something sounds really overpowering.

Sometimes I see strange instructions like this in recipes but it is good to ignore anything that doesnt sound right as it could be a misprint.

I find a sage and onion mix is also good for sausage-type dishes. Sage is another thing that needs to be used sparingly though.

I think I remember using smoked paprika, thyme and sage for my broccoli, corn and potato chowder I made a few weeks ago. I steamed the broccoli separately though and added it at the end.

I also use smoked paprika for paella, and an eggplant quinoa dish I sometimes put together.

I don't know what to suggest. I've heard that Summer Savory is supposed to be a teriffic match for beans, but I've tried it... it's okay, but not that much better than other seasonings. It tastes sort of like thyme or oregano (which are nice with beans too).

I think my favorite things to season beans with are garlic and celery. Dill leaf sometimes blends nice with beans too... I remember being at a vegetarian banquet and there was this sort of casserole that tasted GREAT. It took me some time to figure out that it had a generous amount of fresh dill leaf. I forget what kind of beans or other seasonings it had... lentils I think, but maybe some other sort of brownish bean... Anyway, I don't think dill is exactly a traditional ingredient for red beans and rice.

GRRR. ARGH. I'm not being much help. I'm really not that good a cook anyway. But isn't red beans and rice traditionally made with sausage, so it's supposed to taste sausagey?

Well now I don't know if I should try again with less smoked paprika or try it with the liquid smoke. Decisions, decisions . . .

Cook it without either, and then when it's done or almost done, take out a small bowlful and try each way.

That's the beauty of cooking - you can add things at the last minute. You don't have to commit upfront, the way you have to do with baking.

Also, you could squeeze some lime or lemon juice after it is all done to layer flavors. I have used orange if it needs sweetening, but I live in florida so will put citrus on everything. :)

Also, you could squeeze some lime or lemon juice after it is all done to layer flavors. I have used orange if it needs sweetening, but I live in florida so will put citrus on everything. :)

I don't live in Florida but am a lemon addict and add lemon juice to lots of recipes. It is a must for strawberries and raspberries. We also add lemon juice to cooked pancakes in the UK.:lick:

I vehemently disagree that smoked paprika takes anything like pork. It's a wonderful sweet and smoky flavour. Use it sparingly, though.

I like this, minus the last line :D

Paprika is quite mild so I often use it in table-spoon amounts, but I think I'd use less for smoked, but I wouldn't go as far as sparingly.

Also I second adding lemon, and if you don't like the paprika I'd just use non-smoked, it'll be a different flavour but hopefully one you'll actually like :)