Hi! please help

rishav kothari

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello!
I have been vegetarian all my life and recently turned to vegan because I did not find it okay to treat animals the way Dairy industry does.
However, I come from a very small Indian town and unlike the west, options like chocolates, ice cream, meat, vegan cafe are super rare.
I have started going gym regularly and milk was my main source for proetein or milk based powder.
Requesting help from where I can get protein etc.

Reactions: betiPT
Protein is easy and you likely already take in plenty of it, without the milk.

Chick peas, beans, peas, lentils, etc.
Quinoa.
Tofu, tempeh.
Nuts and seeds.
Whole grains, oats.
Asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, spinach, corn, kale etc.
Guavas, jackfruit, avocado, apricots, kiwi, blackberries, oranges, bananas, melons.

If you use Cronometer and input the foods you eat, you may be surprised by the amount of protein.

Emma JC

Hello!
I have been vegetarian all my life and recently turned to vegan because I did not find it okay to treat animals the way Dairy industry does.
However, I come from a very small Indian town and unlike the west, options like chocolates, ice cream, meat, vegan cafe are super rare.
I have started going gym regularly and milk was my main source for proetein or milk based powder.
Hello and welcome, Rishav!

First off, it looks like all over the globe, governmental propaganda creating fear of a lack of protein is going strong. As a vegan of 1.5 years, I honestly do not worry about getting enough protein, ever. Furthermore, studies have shown that vegans actually have higher blood levels of protein than omnivores do (someone please help me with the citation). Also, cow's milk is a very poor source of protein - I like to use the analogy of "smoking cigarettes for the oxygen," even though that might be a bit of an exaggeration (though not by much). I was pescatarian for 27 years, yet I haven't drank cow's milk since I was about 18 (I'm 53), and have never used any kind of protein powder in anything (though I dabbled in some hemp protein powder to put into smoothies for my son).

Google "vegan sources of protein" and you'll find an abundance of options, including beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, chickpeas, green peas... and the list goes on. Even broccoli has protein. Simply put, as long as you're eating a wide variety of whole plant foods, you do not need to worry about protein.

Mic The Vegan has several videos on this topic, here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJq0eQZoFSwgcqgxIE9MHw/search?query=protein

Hope this helps... Happy to have you here!!

Hello and welcome Mr. K.

Not apropos to anything but when I saw you lived in a small Indian village I immediately thought of an American Indian reservation. And my brain went into a bunch of wrong-headed directions. It was only after I looked at your name to type hello that I realized I was on the wrong continent.

So, don't really have much knowledge of what might be available in a small Indian village. But it can't be that small if it has a gym. I understand a lot of Indians are vegetarian so I suspect your only issue is dairy and eggs.

Here in America, we have plant milks in tetra packs. (Soy, oat, and pea are the best for protein. Soy is my personal favorite.) And Amazon will ship you a dozen at a time. But I suspect if Amason doesn't yet deliver to small Indian towns, and if plant milks aren't readily available in your small town, next time you visit the big city you can buy a box.

If your gym is like my gym then they have protein powders in stock. If all they have is whey based ones talk to the manager about getting a plant-based one. Maybe he can order some just for you but I suspect there might be others at your gym who will want some.

Most of the guys at the gym overestimate their protein requirements. You don't need as much as they say. some will say you need over a gram of protein per kilogram of body weight. but you need less than that. I think .88 is the number to go by.

The other thing is that a lot of gym guys go for large amounts of protein with supplements. They are just wasting their money. Our bodies can only absorb and utilize protein at a certain rate. It varies between people but it usually falls between 20 and 30g per meal.

Hi Rishav,

Welcome welcome :)

Indian cuisine without meat or dairy has ample protein :) you can use cronometer to check.

Mung beans, adzuki beans, lentils, Dahl (did I spell that correctly), veggies and rice :)

Good luck!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Welcome to the forum rishav! As someone who enjoys working out, I don't go out of my way to consume more protein and have no issues. Just make sure you're getting a decent amount through regular diet and there shouldn't be many issues. Rice and beans are a great staple base for everyone!

Good luck!

Reactions: Emma JC