Advertisement

High blood pressure on low salt diet

Discussion in 'Health' started by Jools Holland, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Jools Holland

Jools Holland Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Hi everyone. I realized not long ago that hyponatremia may have been causing many of my problems, and have since started adding salt to my meals again. However, what I find strange is that when I was putting no salt on my meals, my blood pressure was 140/78. Then, when I started increasing my salt intake, after around four weeks, when I checked again, my blood pressure reduced to 133/78. Does anyone know how this is possible?

Also, I just checked my blood pressure again today (a week since I had a blood pressure of 133), and it has increased to 158. I think this may be because I was putting a different salt on my meals that I can't really taste and so was putting a huge amount on. I will go back to using the previous salt and see what happens.

2. Emma JC
    Joyful

Emma JC Active Member

Ratings:
    +325 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    IMO only - salt may be a red herring for you and it may be other things that are causing your issues and without knowing everything that you eat it would be hard to guess. Do you use oil when cooking or in salads? what percentage of your daily intake is fat? etc etc

Emma JC

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lou
    Happy

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +547 / 1 / -4
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I think a lot of the stuff we think we know about salt is wrong. I've attached a link below to a NYT article that explores some of the controversies. And if you want to google NYT and Salt you will find a whole bunch of similar articles.
    Definitely worth checking out.

A lot of health articles that have controversial conclusions should be disregarded. But this is the NYT. Their health section editors are pretty trustworthy.

I've always been blessed with average or normal blood pressure. But as I get older its been creeping up. My sister gave me a blood pressure cuff she didn't need anymore (she works in medical technology). I have been checking my blood pressure regularly and keeping track of it in the Apple Health App.

My blood pressure varies for all kinds of reasons. Time of day, weight, sleep seem to be the most important factors. My salt intake (i think) is pretty stable. But i should do a little experiment and see how potato chips (which is my main weakness) affects BP.

However, an increase from 133 to 158 is fairly alarming. Did you get 158 more than once and for several days in a row? It could have been an outlier. I have had several of those.

Be sure to eliminate as many factors from your blood pressure as possible. First thing in the morning and before eating tends to be the lowest BP of the day.

And remember that emotions affect BP. My BP can raise a lot if I'm nervous or upset.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/08/health/salt-health-effects.html

• Like Like x 2
  4. TofuRobot
    Cold

TofuRobot Active Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Are you eating a lot of processed foods (bread/rolls, pizza, canned vegetables and soup, salad dressings/condiments)? Aside from meat, dairy/cheese, & eggs, those are the top sources of sodium...

• Like Like x 2
  5. rogerjolly
    Breezy

rogerjolly Active Member

Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Hi Jools,

I usually steer very clear away of offering health advice. But many years ago I was in big, big trouble because of high BP. I am now as fit as a fiddle albeit one of mature years.

Body temperature is renowned for variations from day to day and from hour to hour. And BP is notoriously worse than temperature in that regard. It is no good at all taking your BP infrequently and randomly. You are too likely to obtain rogue results and this will be how you came to question the role of salt.

What matters is the long term trend. I would advise measuring your BP every day and charting the results long term. You should do this at the same time each day and under the same conditions. I found the best way was last thing at night sitting up in bed with legs out horizontally.

Excess salt is bad because it leads to water retention which means the heart has more work to do pumping it all around.

Alcohol is bad for the same reason. But in addition it also piles on the calories resulting in weight gain which is another no-no.

Lou is spot on when he suggests that stress can be a major factor. It is a lot easier to cut down the sources of salt and alcohol than the sources of stress but it is probably the worst of the three evils.

“I gotta be cool, relax, get hip.” Freddie Mercury

Good luck,

Roger.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bob Who
    Arthritic

Bob Who Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Jools,

A variance of a systolic of 140 to 133 isn't significant. An average person's blood pressure can easily vary more than that in any given day. If you only check once a day then weeks later, you don't have enough data to draw a conclusion. Even a spike of 158 isn't necessarily cause for alarm. As others have said keeping a regular log taking it at the same time every day, notating what you've eaten, had to drink, and physical activity.

I have kept a log of mine for over 3 years, and I've spotted some trends on occasion and mentioned them when I got my cardiology check ups. So far nothing of concern.

If you're diastolic pressure is fairly constant, that's usually a good thing. When experimenting on yourself, if you can, only change one variable at a time, makes it easier to spot a pattern.

Finally, don't get too excited, after all it raises one's blood pressure :). All the best to you,

Bob

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jools Holland

Jools Holland Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I cut out all that extra salt I was eating and the only salt I get now is just some soy sauce on my sushi or around 12 olives with my meals and after just two days of that my blood pressure dropped down to 123/65 when I had it measured this morning.

• Like Like x 3
  8. windrose

windrose Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I ,as well as my nephrologist (I have Kidney disease),do not pay too much attention to periodic readings. My Dr knows l am vegan and that l walk at least 50 miles per week. I take BP readings every day at the same time and record them to show the DR. When l attend the office the nurse takes my BP and is ready to have me admitted but the Dr sees my recorded readings and puts it down to White Coat Syndrome. My readings are typically 117/75 and l am closing in on 70 years old! ( l only add salt to my french fries).

• Like Like x 1
  9. veganDreama

veganDreama Active Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 2 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I wish you luck monitoring your blood pressure. I think if you eat lots of dark green veg that will also help lower your blood pressure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mavrick45
    Fiendish

mavrick45 Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    yeah! Eating greens that are high in potassium can lower your ratio of sodium. The more potassium, the better your chances of lowering your blood pressure. :D