How do you do burritos?

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Several new members and I have been discussing burritos in a different thread.

I have always made my burritos with canned beans. and not really with a recipe but with whatever I had around. but after making the mix on the stovetop I would assembly line a bunch of burritos and freeze them. Then I would nuke one when I was hungry. These are my "emergency meals". When you don't have time to cook or even sit down and eat. (You can eat these one-handed in the car. Or even in an elevator.)

Now that I have an instant pot I could make the mix with dry beans in the instant pot.
And maybe something more elaborate than beans, salsa, and rice.
So to start off I'll actually need a recipe.

And now I'm re-thinking the idea of assembling them and then freezing them.
Maybe I should freeze small portions of the mix. Keep just one portion in the frig at any one time. And then assemble them as needed. That way I can add things that don't freeze or microwave well. Like lettuce.

That may cause a "little Tupperware bowl shortage". The burritos I would freeze - I would wrap in waxed paper and freeze in just one big Tupperware box. But it might allow for a more interesting burrito or varied burrito experience.

So here is the question: How do you do Burritos?

And vote for your favorites with the Like Button.
❤️

I guess this counts as a burrito:

quinoa/brown rice
sauteed jalepeno, bell pepper, broccoli, carrot, and onion
canned black beans and corn
cilantro and garlic
wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla with lime juice and mexican style hot sauce

Reactions: burritoboi and Lou
My favorite burrito isn't homemade, tbh. I go to a local place and get one that has a mix of pinto and black beans, Mexican rice, guacamole, black olives, pico de gallo, salsa verde, jalepenos, and crumbled tortilla chips. It's called a vegan super nacho burrito - nacho, referring to the chips, and super I guess referring to the guac, jalepenos and black olives. I dunno.

I made fresh refried beans in a crock pot for a school trip a couple of semesters ago, where we had to prepare food to share as a meal group (it was recreation but not backpacking, we were in cabins, so each small group had to provide one meal for the rest throughout the weekend). I'm not gonna lie, it was a pain in the ***. But they were good.

I make a taco salad with romaine, guacamole, fresh squeezed lime juice, black olives, frozen or canned corn, Tapatio or Chipotle Tabasco, crumbled tortilla chips, and usually....wait for it...peas. You could use black beans or pintos if that makes you more comfortable. You could also toss in some bits of tomato, wrap it in a soft tortilla, and magically it's a delicious burrito!

Reactions: Lou
Most Sundays I make a huge batch of burrito ingredients. I have done this for years, even when I ate meat and dairy, because it is a meal that everyone in the family can make to order and have lots of leftovers to turn in to other meals for the week. (Taco salad, quesadillas, taquitos, burrito bowls etc)
Here’s what I make:
Beans and corn heated through and seasoned with cumin and chili powder
Mushroom/pepper/onions- sautéed
Rice, usually with lime and cilantro
Guacamole
Baked tofu squares
Cashew cream sauce
Salsa (sometime I use store bought, but prefer fresh)
Sliced fresh jalapeños
I also prepare non- vegan selections for the kids and husband (though husband chooses the vegan options more and more these days) I’m sure you don’t need the details for those, but I’m mentioning to illustrate how easy it is to still cook the same meal for family memebers who haven’t given those things up yet.

I literally make this every Sunday and everyone loves it. It doesn’t take long after you get used to doing it week after week. Most of these ingredients last for several days and we turn it into lunches and quick dinners for a few days. I have always wanted to make burritos to freeze, but am not sure how all of these ingredients would hold up in the freezer. Maybe one week I’ll just freeze one and see how it goes.

I have always wanted to make burritos to freeze, but am not sure how all of these ingredients would hold up in the freezer. Maybe one week I’ll just freeze one and see how it goes.

The ingredients I don't use in my Frozen buttons is really just lettuce.
Although I'm not sure about avocado.

Amys Frozen Burritos :joy:

my burrito making skill is sub-par. it's all protein crumbles and hot sauce