How do you eat that much?

Sho

Newcomer
Reaction score
So maybe it’s my poor life choices but when I get up in the morning I’m not hungry for like 3-5 hours. Even if I wake and bake even if I don’t drink coffee. I still have zero appetite when I wake up. Actually for hours after I wake up. I have watched a lot of vegan what I eat in a day videos and they seem to eat so much. Like I’m never going to be able to eat that many servings of vegetables in a day. Like I can’t eat 5 bananas in one day let alone a dozen. I get that different people have different needs when it comes to food which is probably why raw food Kristina eats like 25 mangos in one sitting. I don’t get it. My meals have carbs so I guess that’s why they keep me full. Anyways other then just smoothies and juicing how do you get all the vegetables you need in a day? Is it bad if I just eat one giant carb filled meal in a day?

Reactions: LauraMaryW
Breakfast is a pretty important meal as it kickstarts your metabolism for the day. If you're trying to manage your weight, it's even more important not to skip it. Skipping breakfast can lead to eating way more calories later in the day.

A long time ago I used to not be hungry in the mornings, either. I just started making myself eat something - even if it was a granola bar or a small bowl of cereal, I ate something.

My body adapted to it and now comes to expect breakfast and I get pretty dang hungry in the mornings.

I don't watch any of the raw food vegans. Or rather I watched one - Freelee - a couple of times and just thought she was promoting a really unhealthy lifestyle overall. Maybe she can live like that, but I sure as hell can't, and I don't think a significant chunk of the human population can live like that, either.

There's nothing unhealthy about cooked foods, so I don't follow the raw food movement at all. I think raw foods are good for you, yes, but not to the point that they're the only thing one should exist on.

That said, I don't particularly aim to get in a certain amount or volume of veggies and fruit each day. What I do is I try to ensure my meals have variety in them each day and that every meal does have some fruits or veggies. I like to approach things with the rainbow in mind - meaning if I manage to eat fruits and veggies through the day that cover the entire spectrum of the rainbow, I've done good getting a healthy variation in my diet. I also try to accompany each meal with a grain of some sort and nuts, seeds, or legumes to make sure I'm covering my protein needs effectively.

Honestly, when you're doing it right, eating as a vegan means you are guaranteed to get in all the necessary fruits and veggies your body needs each day.

If you're a junk-food vegan, living off of bean burritos, oreos, popcorn, rice, cupcakes, and beer every day, then yeah, it'll be a challenge to get your fruits and veggies in. Basically, you have to sacrifice the junk so you can fit in the good stuff and not end up eating way too many calories or feeling horrendously full.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Some people can eat one meal a day and get by just fine, evidently. I've seen some vegan YT guy that swears by this. There is certainly no shortage of people with passion for what they're doing. Having said that, it doesn't mean they're all right. I tend to follow the vegan channels that heal and promote good health. I like the channels that back their claims up with links to the research and/or science. It's one thing to make a claim about something, but without the science to back it up, it would not be of interest to me.

I'm considering intermittent fasting, where I will eat for so many hours each day (set time frame). Some people water fast regularly. Some people can eat a dozen bananas in a day. Personally, I can't eat 5 bananas a day either, and don't really care to. I do like eating raw veggies, and try to eat them often, but I don't limit myself to raw food.

This really has to do with your own personal goals as a vegan. Aside from the ethical aspect, is it just maintenance and optimum health you're wanting? Are you trying to lose weight? Do you have enough energy the way you're currently eating? How are you feeling compared to before going vegan? If you went raw vegan, then how do you feel before and after? These are questions you need to ask yourself.

I would suggest that you keep educating yourself about the lifestyle as much as possible. Personally I never understood the fully raw vegan way. The plant-based gurus I like to follow don't promote raw, exclusively, but to each their own. If you are eating raw, exclusively, perhaps research more about what calorie dense foods to eat that will help you meet your daily caloric requirements.

Most of those YouTube vegans who eat 3000 - 5000 calories a day are very very active. Freelee was an aerobics instructor and an avid cyclist. I bet Kristina is something like that too.

I'm small and only moderately active. If i eat over 1600 calories a day I will gain weight. So i have to watch what i eat. I have to really limit my grains in order to stay below that. I have to limit fruit to just two to three servings a day. And of course pretty much eliminate things like soft drinks, candy, chips, cookies, etc.

Lately, I have been on a Whole Foods Plant Based diet and its been pretty easy to follow.
I have oatmeal or a fruit smoothie for breakfast.
Usually a big salad for lunch.
And steamed veggies and rice for dinner.

So far I have been pretty happy with the variety I can get from those basic things just by changing the ingredients.
I did get a new cookbook. but I have barely cracked it open.

Reactions: Emma JC
I'm the opposite. I am hungry a lot of the time so it's not a case of how to eat but how to refrain from eating too much.

I don't eat breakfast either. Only a banana or fruit salad or nothing at all. I do eat some junk food. It's what I look forward to. Healthy food is good too of course but I like my junk.
It's vegan so it's not hurting anyone.

Reactions: Lou
Can't you see a connection? :)
I don’t think breakfast is important at all. 1400 calories spread out through the day or eaten in one giant meal or two is no different to your body.

Last edited:
I don’t think breakfast is important at all. 1400 calories spread out through the day or eaten in one giant meal or two is no different to your body.

It is tho. It would take me too long to explain all differences but in a nutshell, there is blood sugar levels and insulin production. Your body handles small meals much better. This is the best and the most important reason.

There is also protein absorption and utilization. The body can only absorb and utilize protein at a certain rate. excess protein is just wasted. The latest research suggests that the body can only 20 - 30 grams of protein per meal. Protein needs to be spread out throughout the day.

There is also the shrinking and expanding stomach. Eating one Large meal will cause your stomach to expand in size then make you feel hungry till the next large meal. Eating several meals will mean that the stomach doesn't have to expand that much and will be empty for less hours. Which means feeling hungry less often.

the whole "metabolic rate" thing is controversial or questionable, in fact the 3 meals a day vs 5 or 6 meals a day is also debateble. However, there is little support for just one big meal a day. There is support for intermittent fasting(like the 8/16 plan) tho. but its not rock solid.

Also the idea that eating breakfast is a good idea is not controversial. everyone agrees that breakfast is a good idea.

https://www.rush.edu/health-wellness/discover-health/why-you-should-eat-breakfast
https://www.10tipsforhealth.com/10-tips-reasons-why-you-should-eat-breakfast/
http://ahealthylifeforme.com/5-reasons-why-you-should-eat-breakfast/
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...the-right-breakfast-is-so-important/index.htm
http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/one-big-meal-versus-many-small-meals-day

So maybe it’s my poor life choices but when I get up in the morning I’m not hungry for like 3-5 hours. Even if I wake and bake even if I don’t drink coffee. I still have zero appetite when I wake up. Actually for hours after I wake up. I have watched a lot of vegan what I eat in a day videos and they seem to eat so much. Like I’m never going to be able to eat that many servings of vegetables in a day. Like I can’t eat 5 bananas in one day let alone a dozen. I get that different people have different needs when it comes to food which is probably why raw food Kristina eats like 25 mangos in one sitting. I don’t get it. My meals have carbs so I guess that’s why they keep me full. Anyways other then just smoothies and juicing how do you get all the vegetables you need in a day? Is it bad if I just eat one giant carb filled meal in a day?

Would you eat breakfast if it was served to you?:sun:

Depends on how much weed you smoke. I live in marijuana central and weed is legal in this state, so no judgement, but I'm thinking it's because you smoke too much??? I have had exes who lost their appetite because they smoked so much, that when they didn't they couldn't eat.

If that's not the case, I don't know what to tell you.