Hunting and dog food

Vegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have been reading a lot of book about dog nutrition and watch some videos and documentaries. And from what I have learned it is no doubt that dogs need meat.

They should have a raw meat diet with some fruit, vegetable and berries. but as a vegan I can't make myself to by the meat from the grocery store. So then I am starting to think the best would be wild meat from a hunter. Or I have even thought about getting a hunting permit.
If you are able to use animal as food you should be able do to kill it yourself.

But this goes against my beliefs that all living creature is equal. And I can't call myself a Vegan if I kill animals. But then it is worse to support factory farming. I am really conflicted. You love your pet and
it isn't fair to go against their nature. It makes them sick and malnourished. For example they should eat stomach and intestines to get the right probiotic. You cant get that from plant.

What is the right thing to do?

I am at present living on a boat and see the ducks swallowing whole live fish every day. I'm vegan but like you I can't force my dog to be vegan. Nor can I force the ducks to stop eating fish. Factory farming, dairy farming etc. are things I can try to stop. I think that there are a lot of dog food products which consist largely of soya "meat". Checking the labels and researching on line might be the answer. I have seen vegetarian dried food for dogs.

I have been reading a lot of book about dog nutrition and watch some videos and documentaries. And from what I have learned it is no doubt that dogs need meat.

They should have a raw meat diet with some fruit, vegetable and berries. but as a vegan I can't make myself to by the meat from the grocery store. So then I am starting to think the best would be wild meat from a hunter. Or I have even thought about getting a hunting permit.
If you are able to use animal as food you should be able do to kill it yourself.

But this goes against my beliefs that all living creature is equal. And I can't call myself a Vegan if I kill animals. But then it is worse to support factory farming. I am really conflicted. You love your pet and
it isn't fair to go against their nature. It makes them sick and malnourished. For example they should eat stomach and intestines to get the right probiotic. You cant get that from plant.

What is the right thing to do?
Apparently, dogs can survive on a vegan diet. There are even vegan dog food companies out there (look up "vegan dog food"). However, be warned that I have been told that dogs can suffer on a vegetarian diet. This is something you should research first.
Killing the animal yourself would be on your conscience. I would advise against this.
If you do decide to feed your dog on meat, look for ethical dog food brands. Look up "ethical dog food" online. Lily's Kitchen, I think, is ethical.
Best of luck.

I have looked at vegan dog food and that's what's so scary. Dogs should not have gluten or soy produce, but those ingredients it's what the food is based on. Even one dog food had avocado in it, and avocado is actually toxic for most animals including dogs. So that goes to show that the dog food industry doesn't know enough. Even dog food withe meat in it has a lot of ingredients like gluten. I have never bought dry dog food. I went to a dog nutritionist a couple of years ago because my dog had extreme food allergies. So I make my food based on sweet potatoes, beetroot, carrot, tomatoes, apples, wild berries and other dog friendly vegetables. I also give legumes, lintels, seeds and seaweed. But then this is not a good diet for a dog, so I by some meat, intestines and bones of wild animals ore animals from small farmers that I have visited to check if the animals really are living out on the fields all year around. But I still feel bad, because the animals will go to the slaughterhouse and they are not stupid so they know what's gonna happen. And even if they didn't know, who am I to say there life is less then others. And another thing, that animals life is on my conscience. Only worse the animal has been moved to a slaughterhouse for then to be killed among other scared animals. if you hunt and shoot the animal yourself it is a quick death.You are as much of a killer if you buy meat. The only difference is that it is in fear of the animal. Because if you had actually stood by the animal yourself it wouldn't be so easy to take it life.