Amal Mashal

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegan newbie
Okay, here it goes. I am incredibly proud to say I have been vegan for 2 months now. Not once have I felt the urge or craving for meat, dairy, or eggs. I have had a few occasions when I'd accidentally consume something I shouldn't, but it had always been completely unknowingly and I'd instantly stop myself from having any more of that item. However I just had a really terrible experience.
I went out for lunch with my family. They all consume animal products. We went somewhere we could all get something decent to eat. I went ahead and ordered a Taco Salad, omitting the chicken, cheese, and sour cream originally in the dish. I forgot to pay attention to the dressing the comes with the salad...
Once my meal had arrived, I took one look at the plate before me and my whole face fell. By the looks of it, the salad definitely had a dressing that contains some sort of creamy element (mayonnaise possibly). Usually what a vegan would do at this point is refuse to eat that dish, especially since they are certain it contained an animal by-product. I don't know why I did what I did. Maybe because I didn't want to cause drama. Maybe because I was hungry. Maybe because I was going to have to pay for it either way and my family wasn't going to let me get another meal and pay for two. I ended up eating my salad. I know a lot of you are going to scold me or call me a "fake vegan". I'm still trying to get the hang out eating out on a vegan lifestyle, and I'm not trying to make up excuses. Trust me, I feel so freaking guilty and it's tearing me apart. Knowing I may have just consumed egg (mayonnaise) or dairy (if it was ranch) makes me feel absolutely disgusted.
I just want to hear what other vegans think of this. I'm obviously going to keep following the vegan lifestyle, and this changes nothing about my views and the cruelty that is animal agriculture. I just want to know if anyone else has experienced something similar or has an opinion. I could really use some support. Thanks xx

Don't worry Amal, this happens to most of us at some time or another. Maybe one day this won't be a risk, but until then we will get tripped up on occasion. Eating out is so hard. Families are the worst as they refuse to allow members to step out of the party line, as it were, at least that has been my experience. You don't want every family outing to end up with everyone telling you how difficult you are, so just make sure next time (there will probably be a next time) that you tell them that you are doing something that is upsetting to you so that you don't upset them. They might be shamed into being more supporting and understanding of your position. We vegans are at the vanguard and will have to deal with all kinds of setbacks until the world realises that it is wrong and joins us. Put it behind you and just keep going. :)

PS My husband is not vegan and sometimes I lick my fingers and realise it is butter on them and not my Pure spread, it makes me feel a bit nauseous. You do get to the stage where you want to keep your body as pure as possible. :innocent:

Don't worry Amal, this happens to most of us at some time or another. Maybe one day this won't be a risk, but until then we will get tripped up on occasion. Eating out is so hard. Families are the worst as they refuse to allow members to step out of the party line, as it were, at least that has been my experience. You don't want every family outing to end up with everyone telling you how difficult you are, so just make sure next time (there will probably be a next time) that you tell them that you are doing something that is upsetting to you so that you don't upset them. They might be shamed into being more supporting and understanding of your position. We vegans are at the vanguard and will have to deal with all kinds of setbacks until the world realises that it is wrong and joins us. Put it behind you and just keep going. :)

PS My husband is not vegan and sometimes I lick my fingers and realise it is butter on them and not my Pure spread, it makes me feel a bit nauseous. You do get to the stage where you want to keep your body as pure as possible. :innocent:
Thank you so much, reading that made me feel a lot better. I hope as I grow I'll manage to do things like eat out a lot better. For example, in the same day I was making dinner plans and called the restaurant ahead to ask what vegan options they had or items with interchangeable ingredients before heading over. Again, thank you and take care ^_^

I would not worry about it. Probably you are overreacting to be honest. Next time, call the restaurant in advance and ask a few questions. If that doesn't happen, step away from the table once seated and find a waiter or the owner to speak to privately (so it's less awkward).

When going out I'm use to asking questions about the food, since i'm allergic to peanuts and extremely allergic to peanut oil. Make it a habit to ask questions and at least for you you won't get deathly ill like me for making a mistake ;)

I think you are being far too hard on yourself. Eating some mayonnaise once in 2 months is still an incredibly good effort compared to a carnivore!! I have just completed my first 5 months as a vegan, the closest I got to your situation was a family meal out for mothers day. There was literally nothing vegan on the menu so i just had a plate of vegetables but i could easily see in that situation how easy it would be to just eat say a piece of fish to please everyone else.

Since that day before i eat out anywhere I either research what is vegan on the internet if it is a chain restaurant or phone ahead and make a request

Reactions: Emma JC
Happens to the best vegans out there. Don't beat yourself up. Just keep on trying to do your best and it's better than what 90% of the world are even doing.

Reactions: Emma JC