I think i accidentally ate chicken...

brianc

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegan newbie
I went to this Vietnamese noodle house and ordered the Pho Chay, a supposed vegan version of pho.... there were these little slices of what the waiter called "tofu"... it was chewy and had a weird texture... I've been vegetarian for 2 years and vegan for a few months and accidentally ate dairy but never meat... did I break my streak?

Attachments

• E191312B-7114-4CC1-A096-4D75A160AD2E.jpeg
    E191312B-7114-4CC1-A096-4D75A160AD2E.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 8
Hi Brian,

Here is the true tale of a vegan student who went on a five day field trip as part of his course. He and his fellow students were booked in at a small hotel. At the first evening meal he asked if the soup contained any animal products. The helpful waiter went off to ask the chef and returned with the answer that there was only a little chicken in it and the pieces were very, very tiny so it wouldn’t matter.

Our hero has been vegan for ten years so was well used to some well-meaning people not having a clue as to what it was all about. Like, for example, the time when an on-board flight attendant had suggested he could just remove the pieces of meat from the stew that was offered in place of the pre-booked vegan meal that had not arrived.

So, he merely politely declined to have the soup.

It was several weeks later that the truth struck him like a thunder-bolt from the blue.

The chef had wanted a minimum of hassle. No one would be able to tell that there was chicken in the soup. Hence, for the chef, it didn’t matter. The waiter entirely misunderstood the reason for it not to matter and in all honesty relayed the full message back to the vegan diner.

We have a right to be angry when restaurants, for their own convenience, trample over our beliefs. Correction: We have a right to be very, very angry. But, at the same time, it would be sad if we lost our faith in the natural honesty of most people because of the dishonest few. At least I hope they are the few.

And just how trusting are you? If my little story had been an Agatha Christie novel would you have understood the full plot at the very end or after the first paragraph? :)

Roger.

Reactions: Aster
Oh dear, so sorry to hear that. I had that as well and I felt bad for a week. The best solution for me was to do something nice to animals and the environment every day for the next month - a sort of vegan cathartic process, if you want. Anyhow it made me feel better and I also now keep a diary about my vegan successes to outbalance the minuscule defeats :)