Advertisement

If you had to pick one...

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Veggie-based Heathen, Sep 18, 2018.

?

Which industry is generally more cruel?

1. Meat

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Dairy

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Veggie-based Heathen
    Wishful

Veggie-based Heathen Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegetarian
    If you had to pick one, which industry would you say is (in general) more cruel: meat or dairy?

2. Lou
    Happy

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +547 / 1 / -4
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    It's an interesting question. Sort of reminds me of if you had to get sick, which disease would you want, small pox or malaria?

Anyway, I voted for dairy. My reasoning is that the dairy cows are left alive longer. which I don't think is doing them a favor. also when you drive by a ranch the "beef cows" are all outside in the pasture eating grass (usually for 1 to 3 years). While most of the dairy cows are inside and/or in close quarters. The "beef calfs" are left with their mothers and get to hang out with their moms and play with each other. the diary calfs are separated from their moms.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sax
    Daring

Sax Active Member

Ratings:
    +167 / 1 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Dairy cows go to slaughter at the end, so I see them both as the beef industry...dairy is just a more cruel pathway to the same end.

If you did to one human girl what we do to billions of cows it would be one of the most horrific crimes imaginable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. veganDreama

veganDreama Active Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 2 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I voted meat but in the way they are BOTH very cruel so it was hard for me to say. Factory farmed sows suffer a lot especially if they are put in pens when they give birth to their piglets. factory farmed birds are also very cruelly treated. So I don't know.