I'm thinking of going vegan but i'm not sure i should?

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I'm a vegetarian and I have been for quite a while now. But I think being vegan could be better. Maybe I'll contribute to something by doing so.
First off - I went was vegetarian when I was 11 yo because I saw a video about farms and such... I felt bad. Then I went back to being an omnivore because of teasing from my father. Then, at 13 I went vegetarian because of an argument at school (quite silly but here goes - in Cooking Class they kept doing the same things over and kept using meat and such, so in defiance I went vegetarian so they had to do something different!)

I've grown to like animals. Not long ago a friend brought along a dog and it liked me (tried to lick me!). However, as a kid I had no such luck. a) One time when I was 9 (I didn't know better, don't judge...) in the summer I kept a butterfly in a jar and forgot to release it and it died. I felt (and still feel) bad about it. I learned from the experience. b) When I was 10 I owned 3 goldfishes and I treated them well. I fed them and cleaned the tank and everything. Two of them died of natural causes. Then a couple months later I had to give the remaining fish to somebody else since I moved away.

I'm considering going vegan because I read about the treatment of cows and chickens on farms. But I don't know any vegan recipes or anything. AND I'm allergic to nuts. Should I just give up?

Any other reasons to convince me?

Yes, you should go vegan. It is a great choice for the environment, ethical reasons and perhaps your own health will even improve.

Vegan recipes just open google and google it, many appear. If you prefer, buy a book. Very easy. I am not much a recipe person otherwise I'd give you some ideas.

If you are allergic to nuts that is not a disaster - try eating avocados for fat and chia/flax seeds for omega 3, in which case you can probably do without nuts. A vegan diet without nuts is a diet that could be low in calories per unit food. So may sure you eat larger portions as you transition.

My advice is to get rids of eggs first (highest cruelty), then get rid of milk and buy a vegan butter just as cheap and tasty as a "normal" one.

Reactions: Cherrytreerosebush
OK, give it a try. And let us know if you have any questions or need any help.