Announcement Installing Veganforum.org as an app (PWA)

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I never got around to announcing this before, but there was a thread in the suggestions forum some time ago, asking if it would be possible to turn the website into an app.

Well, it is, sort of. It won't look all that different to the normal website, but it will create an app button / launcher on your phone, tablet or computer, and then you can use this to access VF.

To do this, you will need to use a browser, such as Chrome, Chromium, Firefox (seems to work on Android but not on a computer), and supposedly most browsers on MacOS except Safari, whereas on iOS it only works with Safari.

In Chromium (and I assume Chrome) go to the website and then simply press the button shown on the far right in the below screenshot, next to the star. That should give you an "Install app" option. Very straightforward.
Chromium_PWA.jpg

To give another example, in Firefox on Android, click Firefox's main vertical dot-dot-dot menu and then select "Add to Home screen". Once completed and launched, the app looks very similar to the web site except you don't see any Firefox menus, so there is more screen space for the app.

I don't really know too much about this feature as I tend to just use the browser but I thought I should make you all aware since the functionality is there!