Is it hypocritical to work selling animal products as a vegan?

Ree92

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
It's the only employment I can find. I believe that the evil lies at buying animal products. If I was not doing the selling someone else would take the job anyways so I might as well. I wounder if it depends however, if it's just processing the orders like for example; a cashier then it's fine, but if its convincing people to buy the animal products like for example; a waiter then it would be at least slightly hypocritical. Tell me what you think, I wont take offence.

Reactions: betiPT
I decided to go vegan when I was working as a server at THE most non-vegan restaurant ever in existence. Their most popular dish was/is the rack of lamb. It ended up that I got hurt at work and took a worker's comp settlement and in doing that was forced to resign. Blessing in disguise. As if that wasn't bad enough - having to serve up this "food" with a smile, answer questions like "which is better, the chicken or the ribs?" (I hadn't eaten a land animal in 27 years) -- there were a myriad of other reasons why I hated working there (alcoholic wife of the owner always coming in and causing drama being one of the largest annoyances). One of the servers used to go on and on at how "beautiful" the plates looked. All I could see was dead animals. It was really depressing, but I didn't have a choice. I *did* manage to convince the owner to put a tofu dish on the menu, but he really didn't market it properly and the chef and the cooks bitched and bitched all the time about having to make it. It didn't sell so they got rid of it after a couple of months. ...I live in a tourist spot and one time a French couple came in and I overheard the woman asking her partner "Do you think we could get some horse me somewhere?" Ugh. I think sometimes people don't have a choice. I certainly wouldn't do it now, but there were no other options for me at the time. ...I work in IT now. SO much better.

I decided to go vegan when I was working as a server at THE most non-vegan restaurant ever in existence. Their most popular dish was/is the rack of lamb. It ended up that I got hurt at work and took a worker's comp settlement and in doing that was forced to resign. Blessing in disguise. As if that wasn't bad enough - having to serve up this "food" with a smile, answer questions like "which is better, the chicken or the ribs?" (I hadn't eaten a land animal in 27 years) -- there were a myriad of other reasons why I hated working there (alcoholic wife of the owner always coming in and causing drama being one of the largest annoyances). One of the servers used to go on and on at how "beautiful" the plates looked. All I could see was dead animals. It was really depressing, but I didn't have a choice. I *did* manage to convince the owner to put a tofu dish on the menu, but he really didn't market it properly and the chef and the cooks bitched and bitched all the time about having to make it. It didn't sell so they got rid of it after a couple of months. ...I live in a tourist spot and one time a French couple came in and I overheard the woman asking her partner "Do you think we could get some horse me somewhere?" Ugh. I think sometimes people don't have a choice. I certainly wouldn't do it now, but there were no other options for me at the time. ...I work in IT now. SO much better.
So what did you do when they asked which is better?

So what did you do when they asked which is better?
Well I suck at lying so I just told them that I don't eat meat, but that people really like [...]. That was the best I could do, was tell them what other people liked or what was popular that evening or something along those lines. It was a little awkward, for sure, but I wasn't gonna lie. *shrug

you cant be a champion for veganism if you're starving and living in a gutter

it's all about what's practicable - I dont think anyone here will find you at fault

Reactions: betiPT and Lou
I have a friend who has been vegan for like six years who's working at a Taco Bell. She's a broke college student and you can veganize things there. However she does also have to make items with animal products. I got pretty lucky with a non food job that works with my class schedule since there's not exactly the demand for massage here that there is in a major city.

Reactions: Lou
All vegans are hypocrites. They shun those that kill and eat animals but they kill living things too. Plants are alive, intelligent, there's research that plants can feel. You know the coloured juice that comes out when you chop your fruits and vegetables? That's their life blood. Sure it's not as gory, but it's still taking a life.

All vegans are hypocrites. They shun those that kill and eat animals but they kill living things too. Plants are alive, intelligent, there's research that plants can feel. You know the coloured juice that comes out when you chop your fruits and vegetables? That's their life blood. Sure it's not as gory, but it's still taking a life.

Again you're making this ludicrous fallacy that all sentience is equal. I'm an environmental science student, I love plants myself and don't think anyone should needlessly chop down trees, I embrace the Gaia hypothesis, and have watched TED talks on the feelings of plants. I live among redwood trees which have their own style of communication within their community of individuals. THAT BEING SAID...the type of "sentience" plants have is more of an instinctual vibe that is shared among the species, plants are not "individuals" the way a pig or a cat is an individual.

It's similar to the arguments for first trimester abortion vs. late-term abortions. It's fine to say you'll never have an abortion because life begins at conception, but it's absurd to argue that a two-week old embryo has the same awareness of suffering, his or her mother, and cognition as a twenty-four week old fetus.

Reactions: TofuRobot

This is satire, right?

If you kill something to eat it...you kill something to eat it. Your sense of entitlement to decide what deserves to live and what deserves to die for your consumption is what is ludacris.

If you kill something to eat it...you kill something to eat it. Your sense of entitlement to decide what deserves to live and what deserves to die for your consumption is what is ludacris.

Have you ever taken a college biology class? Because I can dispute you on the basis of science. So far I've seen nothing from you except generalized conjecture.

Even a thorough understanding of evolution would help you. We are related to other animals in the past few million years and it's apparent in fetal development. We haven't been related to plants closely for BILLIONS.

Reactions: Emma JC
It is hypocritical but its also hypocritical that PETA hasn't organized vegan MASH units so volunteers can go 24/7... if we had an actual community that supported each other with alternatives instead of this stranger population thing that does nothing whatsoever for each other then sure, it would be much worse to not immediately quit and find a new job...

Screenshot 2021-03-14 120058.png