Is it just me, or is the world going crazy?

Andy_T

Little green mod
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I find that this article makes a lot of sense!
Give it a try, it is worth reading (although quite long)

Is It Just Me, Or Is the World Going Crazy?

From the article:

It seems these days that there is this omnipresent feeling that the world is going ******* crazy. Yet, by every objective measurement, it’s arguably the sanest and safest it’s been in recorded history.3

Because, like you, like seemingly everybody, I have also felt as though the world is spinning out of control and there’s nothing we can do about it. I’m exhausted from all the stories of shootings and attacks and bombs and the constant stream of awful stuff that is happening out there. I, too, feel desensitized and dejected from the seemingly constant carnage raging across the planet.

And because this feeling is new and unique to me, my first assumption is that the world must be more fucked than it’s ever been before. After all, I never felt this way 10 years ago or 20 years ago. So things must be worse, right?

But the world isn’t worse. It’s just that we’re more aware of all of the bad things than ever before. As Ta-Nehisi Coates put it: “The violence is not new; it’s the cameras that are new.”

Cameras, the internet, and most importantly, social media. This is what’s new. This is what’s different. How we’re getting information, what information is reaching us, and most importantly, what information and views we are most rewarded for sharing.