Is there any decent milk??

Mark Alexander

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Sorry for my first post to be pseudo-negative! :)

I was vegan for about four months last year (after watching "Earthlings") but had to stop due to severe illness (unrelated to veganism).

Now I've been healthy for a while I plan on going vegan again starting Monday as I LOVED it. In my experience, almost all the food is actually *better*, but the one problem I have is milk. I really like glasses of milk as well as on cereal and in my tea/coffee. No milk alternative has been even a part-way decent replacement, though; I can't find anything that tastes like...well, milk.

I haven't tried oat milk yet?

I guess I'm looking for recommendations for milk, please?

I personally never liked cow milk. I was forced to drink it at every milk as a kid and it would usually make me sick. Having said that I really think plain unsweetened almond milk is the closest to taste of skim cow milk. I usually just have almond milk in the house. I'll also buy coconut milk sometimes as it's good in coffee along with vanilla soy milk. Cashew milk is creamier so you might give that a try. There's also hemp, potato and rice you might like.

I think you can easily get used to it. I drink soy milk for the protein. I get the "light vanilla" kind. Its OK even straight up with a cookie. but most of the time I use it with oatmeal, or cold cereal, or smoothies. and really, you can't even taste the difference then.
Taste wise, everyone tells me that almond milk is the best. Or cashew. Last winter the grocery store had a promotion on a new company called Califia ( California based). They had a chocolate flavored cashew coconut blend that was delicious.

Myself, I had an addiction to espresso mixed with milk...aka lattes. I also could not find a good substitute for dairy with my coffee, so...I quit coffee. I was bound and determined to go vegan, and if that's what it took, then I was doing it. I have been drinking green tea in the morning ever since. Now having said that, I have found some non-dairy alternatives that I do like.

I think the best so far for me in coffee is pea protein milks. The brand I get here in Canada is called Ripple, and it rocks! It makes a superb latte. Nonetheless, I still enjoy my green tea in the morning now. I have no desire to switch back to coffee. Besides, Ripple is really expensive here. I'll buy the chocolate as a treat once a month or less, even.

Congratulations for giving vegan another chance. Personally I never really liked cows milk.
I like chocolate flavoured soya milk much better.

I've tried them all and oat milk is the only one I like. Provitamil and Alpro (I was told they are the same company) are very slightly sweet, but mix well in tea and coffee. Oatly doesn't mix well, it sinks to the bottom. If you are having it on cereal and have sugar as well you won't notice the sweetness. I don't have sugar in my hot drinks and don't notice the sweetness at all. Only when drinking it by itself is it apparent.

I am in the unsweetened natural Almond Milk camp as it seems to be the most palatable.

Oat milk is one that I haven't yet tried and would like to soon.

Emma JC

I tried the oat milk and didn't like it. but it's a good alternative and I imagine some people must like the taste.

I also had the pea milk from Ripple and it was fine. It's just more expensive than Soy milk so I'm sticking with soy for now.

One thing that might be worth considering when buying soy products is to look for the ones that come from North America. The whole tariff thing is going to screw with American soy farmers. Plus a lot of the Brazillian soy farms are unsustainable and/or former rainforests.

Lately, I have been passing up Silk and getting Wildwood.

And of course, buy organic.