Is Tofu Healthier "Raw" or "Cooked"?

500channelsurfer

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Recently I have been eating more tofu "raw" (meaning straight out of the package, instead of (re) cooking it) when I need a quick meal.

For awareness, all tofu comes "cooked" as part of the tofu-manufacturing process involves boiling the soybeans or their curd or something somewhere along the way. "Raw" is just a way of describing end-users eating tofu out of the package instead of cooking it again. So from our perspective "cooked" tofu means that we cooked it again.

I tried to research if there are any health benefits or drawbacks to "raw" vs "cooked" tofu and only found one article:

Is Tofu Good for You?
draxe.com/nutrition/what-is-tofu/#:~:text=Fortunately%2C%20this%20should%20not%20be,the%20production%20of%20thyroid%20hormones

So it seems that tofu might be healthier "cooked," or at least soaked overnight and then drained, rather than eaten "raw"?

Recently I have been eating more tofu "raw" (meaning straight out of the package, instead of (re) cooking it) when I need a quick meal.

For awareness, all tofu comes "cooked" as part of the tofu-manufacturing process involves boiling the soybeans or their curd or something somewhere along the way. "Raw" is just a way of describing end-users eating tofu out of the package instead of cooking it again. So from our perspective "cooked" tofu means that we cooked it again.

I tried to research if there are any health benefits or drawbacks to "raw" vs "cooked" tofu and only found one article:

Is Tofu Good for You?
draxe.com/nutrition/what-is-tofu/#:~:text=Fortunately%2C%20this%20should%20not%20be,the%20production%20of%20thyroid%20hormones

So it seems that tofu might be healthier "cooked," or at least soaked overnight and then drained, rather than eaten "raw"?
I didn't read that whole article. Being that I found 3 false hoods in the first 5 paragraphs I thought it wasn't worth any more time. Is Dr. Axe that TV guy? I don't know much about him but I think he might be a quack

Anyway, there is a lot of misinformation about soy on the internet. Especially Soy milk which is what tofu is made of. At one time the dairy industry was feeling threatened by soy and did spread some misinformation. I remember about 20 years ago reading about how soy milk causes man-boobs. And I hear someone has dusted that off and is promoting something like that again.

There is almost nothing bad about soy and tofu. However like anything else you can consume too much of it. I might be able to look up what is a recommended maximum. Off the top of my head I think its something like 5 servings a day

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Oh, I forgot to answer your question.
Raw tofu is fine. So is cooked tofu. maybe the only thing is that when I cook tofu I fry it in oil and soy sauce which makes it less healthy.

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC
Nine out of ten times I'm eating tofu warmed in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. I like it between an English muffin with vegan butter. Occasionally I'll throw in a half slice of Daiya cheddar cheese.

If I'm cooking it, I'm breading and frying it then dipping in sweet n sour sauce which, as @Lou said, is less healthy.

I don't even bother cooking tofu scrambles because I simply crumble the tofu, microwave, then add whatever cooked vegetables I have on hand.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
I didn't read that whole article. Being that I found 3 false hoods in the first 5 paragraphs I thought it wasn't worth any more time. Is Dr. Axe that TV guy? I don't know much about him but I think he might be a quack

Anyway, there is a lot of misinformation about soy on the internet. Especially Soy milk which is what tofu is made of. At one time the dairy industry was feeling threatened by soy and did spread some misinformation. I remember about 20 years ago reading about how soy milk causes man-boobs. And I hear someone has dusted that off and is promoting something like that again.

There is almost nothing bad about soy and tofu. However like anything else you can consume too much of it. I might be able to look up what is a recommended maximum. Off the top of my head I think its something like 5 servings a day

What falsehoods? While I'm no fan of Axe, I found the article to be factual.

I often eat tofu right from the package, with a bit of soy sauce, or chili garlic paste. I like to mash and add kala namak, mayo and relish for a sandwich spread.

Love to saute tofu with veggies and some water/liquid smoke/herby seasonings/touch of brown sugar till absorbed, then sprinkle kala namak
like it steamed with anything

What falsehoods? While I'm no fan of Axe, I found the article to be factual.
I'm sorry, it wasn't in the first three paragraphs. it wasn't till till half way thru

"For starters, the majority of soy produced in the U.S. is genetically modified."
Yes this is true. but it is misleading. All the Organic Soy products are by legal definition Non-GMO. and almost all the soy products sold in grocery stores are organic. Especially the domestic ones.

"Soy allergies are also incredibly common."
incredibly common?! they are more common in children. and even among children it only effects 4 out of 1000.

"Those with a history of hormone-sensitive cancers, such as breast cancer, may opt to avoid soy products due to their content of soy isoflavones, which can mimic the effects of estrogen in the body. "
This warning is so misleading, he himself refutes it in the next sentence.

"The effects of tofu on brain function have also been a subject of controversy."
Again a misleading statement. just one study and not definitive.

"Tofu also contains phytates, which are largely responsible for its firm texture. Phytates are a type of antinutrient ...."
In the next paragraph he himself minimizes this issue.

"Finally, soy contains goitrogens, which are compounds that can interfere with the production of thyroid hormones. For this reason, it’s important to keep soy intake in moderation and enjoy as part of a balanced diet, especially if you have a history of thyroid issues."
yes this is true and not really much of a concern.

One might argue that he was simply trying to be fair and balanced. but I would argue that if his wording does not provide evidence of his intention to be fair and balanced.

• Agree
Reactions: silva
Didn't read that far :laughing: . Makes sense though, I do know Axe as a schill, with his 'anti-nutrient" talk

Just to clarify, tofu is not raw as it is made from cooked beans

Just to clarify, tofu is not raw as it is made from cooked beans
Yes, and the original poster states that in his original post.

maybe besides the point, but soy milk is a highly processed food so therefore so is tofu.
This illuminates how the fuss about highly processed food is overblown.
Tofu doesn't look anything like a soybean. The soy bean goes thru so many steps in the making of tofu. And things are added and things are taken away. the very definition of a highly processed food. But tofu is a really good food.