Advertisement
  1. We need your feedback to shape the future of the forum click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping reptiles

Discussion in 'General' started by Pepsiandjac, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Pepsiandjac

Pepsiandjac New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegetarian
    Hiya,I keep tortoises ,so I am a member of a lot of reptile forums,
    All of my tortoises are herbivores.
    My question is,How ethical is it for someone who is a vegan to breed snakes,and feed them live or frozen rodents or other small animals weekly.
    I like snakes,but could never own one because I know I could never feed it what it would need.
    But 1 person who claims to be a vegan and keeps posting vegan articles on her website,has 100+ pythons and boa constrictors.
    It just seems so wrong for someone that keeps posting vegan articles to be killing 100+ animals a week.

2. TofuRobot
    Curious

TofuRobot Active Member

Ratings:
    +453 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    It's not ethical (or vegan) to breed snakes, or any other animals, for sale for the pet industry. My son owns a snake, which he acquired at least 5 yrs ago, long before I became vegan and before he ever considered being vegan. Now that he has him, he has an obligation to care for him, IMO. But I doubt he would ever buy another, and if he were to have a dog or cat, I'm almost certain he would adopt/rescue one.
    The person you mention should most certainly be called out for breeding snakes in captivity for sale. That is definitely not vegan. He/She is calling themself vegan incorrectly. Perhaps they are confusing vegan with someone who eats a plant-based diet. Big difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pepsiandjac

Pepsiandjac New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegetarian
    Thankyou for replying, that’s exactly what I was thinking,she definitely considers herself a vegan,she even posts PETA announcements against keeping pets,even though she sells wild caught snakes as well,and I’ve seen videos of her letting her cat terrorise baby snakes.
    I will definitely be calling her out on this,but her only reaction then is to block people,but hopefully others will call her out too
    Thanks Julie

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member

Ratings:
    +353 / 2 / -6
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I am unsure what I think about this and also think it deserves more than a binary yes or no answer, so if I may ask:

At what point, and for what reason does it make it unethical?

1) Because it’s a carnivore?
    - Are keeping/breeding herbivores more ethical just because they eat plants not other animals?

2) When it was caught?
    - There can be good reasons for this, like for instance if it is a venomous snake and it posed a danger to a human

3) When it was fed other animals?
    - It’s going to do this anyway in the wild. Feeding a carnivore it’s natural/needed diet doesn’t save any animals, it merely changes the method in which it acquires them

4) When it was kept and sold for profit?
    - It might be argued (like with dogs or cats) that it could actually have benefited depending on who bought it and how they treated it as opposed to letting it loose in the wild to fend for itself, possibly get killed by another animal, squished by a motor vehicle, etc.

Convince me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TofuRobot
    Curious

TofuRobot Active Member

Ratings:
    +453 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    @Nekodaiden - so you don't think that breeding animals and selling them for profit is unethical? (That's what she's saying this person is doing.)

6. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member

Ratings:
    +353 / 2 / -6
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan

I didn’t say that. Please read my post more carefully.

7. TofuRobot
    Curious

TofuRobot Active Member

Ratings:
    +453 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I'm sorry - I thought you were responding to the OP who asked "How ethical is it for someone who is a vegan to breed snakes...".

8. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member

Ratings:
    +353 / 2 / -6
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I was.

The complete sentence is here: “My question is,How ethical is it for someone who is a vegan to breed snakes,and feed them live or frozen rodents or other small animals weekly.

The OP keeps herbivorous turtles and isn’t asking about *them*. Should be obvious that the focus of the question comes from the fact that they know someone who keeps/breeds carnivores (snakes in this case), and the ethics behind feeding them other animals.

So I have asked some questions to give someone an opportunity to convince me it is either ethical or unethical. If you have an argument, please refer to each of the points in my post. I like intellectual honesty :)

9. TofuRobot
    Curious

TofuRobot Active Member

Ratings:
    +453 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    "The complete sentence is here: “My question is,How ethical is it for someone who is a vegan to breed snakes,and feed them live or frozen rodents or other small animals weekly.”"

@Nekodaiden - that might make sense if the first part of her question didn't make everything following it (the part you put in bold) irrelevant.

It's a logical "and" operator. The two must go together, therefore the sum of the two together is not true, since one of them is absolutely not true.

(I like logical discussions.) :)