[kurzgesagt] why meat is the best worst thing in the world

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
It's cute enough for grade school kids but I'm guessing it was actually designed for young-ish adults or Millennials who are used to watching adult animation regularly. That would explain the fast-coming facts, it was never intended for children.

As an educator I see this as suitable for high school and college. "Greenhouse gas emissions" isn't even a term environmental educators use with 5th graders. Nor would we discuss genocide. At the grade school level we are still reinforcing concepts like the cyclical nature of things, the importance of water, and talking about keystone species and endangered species. The facts of why or how climate change is happening isn't really approached until middle school, in fact there is an elementary school in this county that doesn't even allow climate change to be mentioned (no really).

Yeah the last part is disappointing, where they tell people to eat chicken or "enjoy their steak" and not waste it...there's a huge strain of that in all environmental education in the U.S. I'm disappointed to see it in the UK too...there's this deference to capitalism or not wanting to offend the bourgeoisie. It's really hard to be around on a number of levels.

I can't agree with the sentiment that the film benefits anyone. As stated, it starts out good, but the whole ending summary leads me to think it was written by some slick marketing agent for the meat, dairy and egg industries.

"Meat tastes great!" - actually, it doesn't. The vegetables/spices we use on it give it it's taste. Boiled meat that has the fat removed and isn't salted or spiced doesn't taste like much of anything at all, a bit metallic, if anything. The fat by itself also tastes like nothing. I tried boiling and removing the fat from mince before I went vegan and found this out for myself.

"Now that we've made you feel properly guilty for the suffering you're contributing to and the environmental impact - just remember to be Grateful and Thankful" - second take home message that's next to worthless.

"Try cutting down, like going meatless on Mondays" - Half *** attempt that anyone might try, but will never turn anyone vegan. One must completely eliminate all animal flesh and products for a substantial period and get your body used to a new microbiome with accompanying bacteria that feeds off fiber and resistant starch from whole foods before you can start getting the full satisfaction from eating this way. Else you'll be hungry and crave animal products.