Lentil recipe ideas

amberfunk

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I need some new ideas for making lentils. So far I make dal nirvana with red lentils, curry, garlicky green lentils, garden pie (mashed potatoes and gravy) and I put red lentils into my own ramen bowls. Just please nothing with cashews in it since my son is allergic to them. Thanks!

Lentils with fresh chillies, mint and coriander

Ingredients

85 g/ 3 oz split red lentils

85 g/ 3 oz split chickpeas

3 tbsp cooking oil

1 onion finely chopped

2 or 3 fresh green chillies, chopped , ( de seeded if you like )

2 tsp garlic puree

2 tsp ginger puree

1 tsp ground cumin

600 ml/ 1 pint warm water

1 tsp salt or to taste

1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

1 tbsp fresh chopped mint

Method

1 Wash the lentils and chickpeas together until water runs clear. Leave to soak for 30 minutes

2 Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, ( preferably cast iron or non stick ) add the onion, chillies, garlic and ginger. Stir fry until it begins to brown.

3 Drain the lentils and chickpeas and add to the onion mixture, add the cumin and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.

4 Stir in the salt, fresh coriander and mint. Remove from heat

I will post more recipes later on, if you think it's too hot for your son halve the amount of chilli and ginger.

I need some new ideas for making lentils. Thanks!
Hi Amberfunk
I have my main meal in the evening and always put beans in it. But it could be lentils or chickpeas. There are literally hundreds of vegetarian recipes using lentils - these could be tweeked to make them vegan. Casseroles and soups are what come to mind first. But pasta dishes, veggie burgers and stuffed peppers/aubergines (=eggplant) are also great with lentils. Google "vegan pasta recipe" etc. I love curries, spaghetti bolognaise with lentils instead of meat, goulash etc.
Here's a spag bol recipe:
Ingredients
  • 1 large mug green lentils
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes
  • 2 chopped garlic cloves
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 1 chopped carrot
  • 1 large stick of celery
  • 2 handfuls of chopped mushrooms (optional)
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp mixed Italian herbs
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 pint stock
  • 1 pack spaghetti
Method
Soften the garlic, onions, carrot and celery in a pan with the oil.

Add the lentils and mushrooms (if using) and cook for 10 mins.

Add the tomatoes and the stock.

Cook for at least an hour on a low heat – the longer and slower you cook this the better it will be.

Check the sauce, you want it to be nice and thick.

Season.

Cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions and drain well.

Return to the pan and add the sauce, mixing well. Serve.
Most casserole dishes (and spag bol) are better made the night before or cooked in batches and frozen.

Last edited:
I tried lentils with pasta. Made my sauce as usual and added some red lentils I had cooked last night with spinach and fresh garden tomatoes. It was so good topped with nutri yeast and vegan parmesan.

Try sprouting your lentils and then cooking them, or alternatively sprinkle on salads!