Listeria

Alexia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Even though vegan and vegetarian food is healthier, it is still susceptible to bacteria like listeria. Amy's Kitchen, a well known organic food manufacturer recalled products with spinach in as a precaution as their supplier had reported an outbreak of listeria.

Even organic food can get bacteria, so it's important to wash and cook all ingredients thoroughly. I'm always cautious of salads in restaurants too and generally don't eat them if they don't look right.

Understanding the origin of the bacterial infection is more important in my opinion. If you understand that the bacteria is soil and water borne, then you will understand why vegetables can carry it. Also, unlike a lot of other bacteria, cold temperatures does not kill it. It can survive in temperatures between 4-37°C hence why the fridge does not kill the bacteria. Listeria is a group of bacteria (actually 10 different species).

Listeriosis is a serious disease for humans; the overt form of the disease has a fatality rate of around 20-25 percent with the 2 main manifestations being meningitis and sepsis. The usual groups of people are the most likely to get ill, young, old, infirm or pregnant.

Wiki is surprisingly well informed on the matter and makes for a good read. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listeria

Even though vegan and vegetarian food is healthier, it is still susceptible to bacteria like listeria.

I don't think vegan and vegetarian foods are necessarily healthier than a diet with meat and animal products. There are quite a few vitamins and minerals you cannot get from a pure vegan diet unless you take supplements. I think that people just need to cut out all of the processed foods to be healthy, and it is a personal choice of whether you want to cut out all meats and animal products as well.

There will always be some dangers of eating any food. Any food can become contaminated, either from listeria or other things. Even people who are very strict about what they eat can still come into contact with contaminated foods.