Advertisement

Lost the will to eat (properly)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nicky, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Nicky

Nicky Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Hi all,

I guess my problem isn't specifically a vegan one, so sorry if it's wrong to post here, but I know the answers I'm going to get elsewhere will involve eating meat & dairy, and I just don't have the energy to deal with that right now.

Basically, I'm usually a pretty healthy person - I like to cook and I eat a good and varied, largely whole food diet. But lately everything healthy seems to have lost its appeal - even once it's on a plate in front of me I just can't make myself eat more than a few bites, as I feel nauseous even from the smell. Instead I'm craving bland foods - bread, potatoes, pasta - constantly. I can't put a finger on what's happened, but I literally go to the produce aisle and want nothing but processed, uniform junk food. My usual "easy meals" - a few staple soups, salads and smoothies - are literally turning my stomach. I'm barely getting in one or two portions of fruit and veg a day which is really odd for me. I've tried new recipes with different ingredients as I thought I might just be in a rut, but I feel the same about these as everything else, except I've wasted extra time and money in the process. I'm usually all for listening to my body when I want a treat, but it's been months now and it can't be doing me any good. On a related note I've completely gone off coffee too, pretty much overnight. Also, no, I'm not pregnant!

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas of anything I could try? I think healthy eating is, oddly, a part of my identity, and I normally take nutrition quite seriously, so it's unsettling that my body seems to be rejecting the good stuff.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm a bit down in the dumps so please be gentle if you think I'm being a fussy brat who won't eat her greens - I already know that

2. Emma JC
    Joyful

Emma JC Active Member

Ratings:
    +286 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I am sorry you are having issues, you may want to get checked out if it continues, you aren't pregnant are you?

Meanwhile, there is nothing wrong with potatoes and whole grain breads and whole grain pastas for couple of months. Maybe try those items for awhile and gradually put some berries and greens etc back in over time.

If you look up Spud Fit you will find Andrew's story, he ate only potatoes for a year. (under doctor supervision)

Emma JC

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sockpim

Sockpim New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    I was going to ask if you felt depressed, but you already wrote it in your question. I say this because that's the same thing that happened to me when I had a bad patch of depression some time ago. Maybe it's something different, but when I had this, I said to myself that I should eat the good stuff because I hoped I would make it out of feeling miserable all the time so that if/when I got there, my body was as healthy as my mind.

That being said, have you tried sprucing up your meals? By this I just mean exploring recipes a bit more. I don't look at recipes to follow them word for word, I just use them for basic ideas like when I saw a stuffed marrow slice, I just had a look at the recipe and made it up from there. If I did a stir fry, I'd have used the same ingredients, but with the stuffed marrow slice, it was a completely different dish and taste. I'd suggest trying something like this to see if it helps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. veganDreama

veganDreama Active Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 2 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    It might be depression you are suffering from? Have you seen a doctor about it?

• Like Like x 1