Making New Vegan/Vegetarian Friends

Haven't read all the thread but I would try a potluck. Also your local community might well have an online vegan presence, so google for it. There are usually sporting events where lots of people get together. I live in London, so www.veganlondon.co.uk works for me. Also watch out for vegetarian expos. The Vegan Lifestyle Assoc also posts a list of events online for the UK as a whole http://veganlifestyleassoc.com/events/

Thank you for that Winter.Frost - upon having a quick look at the link to the vegan lifestyle association there is a Vegan Festival right near me (like 5 miles away) end of May!

Reactions: winter.frost
I live in a small village in the East Midlands, and having frequented a number of FB vegan groups and made couple of new online acquaintances, I think it's fair to say I'm not finding this very easy.....and the longer I ruminate on things, the harder it is to interact comfortably with people who continue to eat/drink animal products. Please advise.
I know what you mean - but a friend is a friend. Statistically it's unlikely that all your friends will be vegan unless you are VERY selective. Would be nice... Stick with friends who are good friends except for the vegan bit and you might say something to them that puts them on the vegan path.

Reactions: Krish Jay
I enjoy attending special vegan evenings where everyone can bring something vegan from home and share it with others. It is the best way for me to meet like minded people.
I also do some yoga and there is a big chance to meet vegans or vegetarians there.

I have also experienced misunderstanding from my friends and relatives when they got to know about the changes in my diet. They were actively doubting veganism for the first half a year trying to persuade me that meat is necessary at least in small amounts, veganism will damage my health etc.

But when I refused to change my mind, they accepted my point of view and when we meet now they always try to cook something vegan for me. Give your friends and relatives time to accept your new lifestyle, supply your position with strong arguments (environment preservation and cruelty-free diet are the arguments I use) and be patient :)

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting topic - I actually do not know any other vegan in real life.

I recently went along to a lunchtime meeting of a Facebook Vegan group from where I live, as I thought it would be great to meet people who shared my vegan lifestyle. I didn't know any of them, while they were already friends and I felt awkward, uncomfortable and couldn't think of anything to say! I probably won't be doing it again as I'm quite shy with new people and didn't enjoy it at all. No bearing on the people at all, but just because we share the same diet doesn't mean we're going to automatically be life long friends. For me, anyway

It's quite subtle what makes up a good friendship, I've struggled to define it but I think it is not shared interests or a shared way of thinking as much as things like just feeling comfortable with each other and being able to share a silence. I've been in groups of friends where in theory I should have best friends with someone in the group because they seemed to agree with me on everything and just almost have their brain wired the same way, and yet in practice somehow did not feel very, very close to that person and they were closer to someone who they didn't have anything obvious in common with.

I live in a small village in the East Midlands, and having frequented a number of FB vegan groups and made couple of new online acquaintances, I think it's fair to say I'm not finding this very easy.....and the longer I ruminate on things, the harder it is to interact comfortably with people who continue to eat/drink animal products. Please advise.

Sorry this is an old post, where abouts in the East Midlands are you?? Xx